advertisement

Rega Aethos?

I’d be interested to hear if the Aethos builds on the strengths on the Elex R which was good fun to listen to when in my system. The Elicit R I tried was more refined, laid back but quite different to the Elex R.

The Aethos has been on demo in my system this weekend, Unfortunately I have to return it tomorrow but I will be placing an order first thing! It’s a wonderful amp, I’m hoping I don’t have to wait too long for my dealer to get one in for me. I will update this thread once I’ve got my unit safely installed in my system.

Can’t wait.

I was in my dealer's the other day and he told me he has ordered himself one, I didn't have time to have a listen unfortunately as I was just picking something up and was in a rush.

He thought it was excellent however and he had just sold me an Elex-r a couple of months ago so wasn't pushing for a sale or anything. I asked him how it compered to the naim equivalent and although he hadn't compared to a super nait 3 his view was that the current rega gear is much more musical and that naims best stuff stopped with the olive era. Subjective I know but he didn't have an axe to grind.

I’d be interested to hear if the Aethos builds on the strengths on the Elex R which was good fun to listen to when in my system. The Elicit R I tried was more refined, laid back but quite different to the Elex R.

How have your experiences with both amps compared? Are you surprised that rega have based on the elex rather than elicit?

I have always wanted a Rega reference system but funds don’t quite stretch far enough, I have RP8 Apheta 2 with Aria, PMC twenty5.24. With the Aethos running in my system I have to say it is uncannily close to the RP10 & Osiris RS10 setup which I have always been so fond of.

No I didn’t, that’s a great price but the Aethos is really at the limit of my budget already! Thank you for the info though:)

Craig - what amp are you comparing the Aethos against at home?

I have an Elicit R and looking to upgrade at some point.

It's between the Aethos and Supernait 3 for me.

Ive heard the Aethos in a dealer and it did sound excellent, but you need to hear in your set up to be sure of things.

You’ve probably never heard of it! I’ve had a Canor TP134 for the last 8 years which I enjoyed immensely but I have had a couple of other items on demo at home over the last year or so, Naim superuniti and Cyrus x100 mono’s, neither of those could sway me from the Canor. I’ve also dabbled with Actives, Meridian DSP5200se.

In my opinion you need a home demo, pointless listening at the dealers unless they can replicate your exact system and room acoustics. My dealer had it running on a Cyrus streamer & Kef r something speakers, it wasn’t a very nice experience to be honest.

No never heard of it. Only a website click away though.

Ive heard of a Canon TP 134 though. Excellent prints !

I tried taking my sofa, rug, table to the dealers room, but no couldnt reproduce my room.

Let us know how you get on please.

Enjoy !

I was fortunate to loan an Aethos recently. I found it to be markedly different to my Elicit R - to my ears it was faster and had more emphasis at the frequency streams.

The previous week I has demoed an Osiris at home. This was more like my Elicit R but the sound was much more realistic - for example, the classical music and the Announcer's voice on Radio 3 stopped me in my tracks at times. Richard Hawley's Remorse Code was similarly spine-tingling. On other occasions though I was left feeling some types of music could have done with a bit more drive or rhythm.

I might try them again sometime but for the time being I am somewhat like Bono in that I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Raymond

I was fortunate to loan an Aethos recently. I found it to be markedly different to my Elicit R - to my ears it was faster and had more emphasis at the frequency streams.

The previous week I has demoed an Osiris at home. This was more like my Elicit R but the sound was much more realistic - for example, the classical music and the Announcer's voice on Radio 3 stopped me in my tracks at times. Richard Hawley's Remorse Code was similarly spine-tingling. On other occasions though I was left feeling some types of music could have done with a bit more drive or rhythm.

I might try them again sometime but for the time being I am somewhat like Bono in that I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Raymond
U2?

Sorry, someone had to say it :D

Raymond

Did you ever feel the Aethos lacked drive and rhytm ?

Hi,

I thought it had plenty of both and lots of detail too, loads of power and a really good headphone output.

I struggled with its portrayal of vocals a bit but then again it was a new unit with not many hours on but mostly I felt like its ergonomics were a backward step after my Elicit R.

Ray

I notice you're selling your Elicit R .

So have you experienced your Bono moment now, if you dont mind me asking?

Looking back to the Osiris original uk reviews some found it a bit polite.

Hi,

I thought it had plenty of both and lots of detail too, loads of power and a really good headphone output.

I struggled with its portrayal of vocals a bit but then again it was a new unit with not many hours on but mostly I felt like its ergonomics were a backward step after my Elicit R.

Ray
What is the rest of your system if you don't mind me asking?

I have an Elex-r at the moment which I really like and I understand the aethos is similar in character but takes things on a few levels. So this could be a future option for me albeit not for a good while.

advertisement

Back