advertisement

Rediscovering old albums...

I first heard them on the late John Peel’s radio 1 show.
Bought their first album Secrets of the I Ching. I bought them as they were released and found they were better with each new album.
Natalie Merchants solo stuff ain’t too shabby either.

Record from the Ottoman

Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation. I bought a few Zappa albums in the 80s - all except Hot Rats are in the box. I'm not sure my view has changed - I like the guitar playing but the anodyne lyrics a turn me right off. Is there a more crass song that Dinah Moe Hum - but i did like Montana where the mix of frat boy and surrealism kind of works.

I streamed The Grand Wazoo afterwards ( a friend of mine bought that at the same time I bought Chunga's Revenge) and it was much more my type of thing.

I listened to Heart Of Saturday Night by Tom Waits earlier this evening. I’d not listened to the LP in decades and thought it was superb.

Not quite old albums but found some 3" CD singles I haven't played in 25 or so years so gave them a spin. Nice but might sit on the shelf for a bit before they get another play (except the 808 State one):

Records from the Ottoman

These may well strike some here as criminal but today I took out In The Court of the Crimson King - i think this is the first time I've played it for 30+ years and certainly the first time on anything resembling hi fi. What an amazing sounding record - I have no memory at all of Moonchild being quite so extraordinary. This one's staying out and is going to get played some more.

Just did this. Not sure I can face The Smurfs - Smurfing Sing Song. Can I go again ;)

https://www.discogs.com/The-Smurfs-Smurfing-Sing-Song/release/3995472

I have this tucked away somewhere, but I am also not going to rediscover it:

R-10959931-1507235143-6436.jpeg.jpg

Have spun OK Computer for the first time in many a year tonight. By no means a Radiohead obsessive but there are some sublime moments on this album.
It is a really good album. Massively over-egged when referred to as the best album ever (as it often is) and I think that is what has put me off listening to it so much over the years.

It is just a very good 90's indie album. No more, no less. Going to put it on later now you've reminded me.

Their new album is great and exactly what I wanted from them.

I had missed that entirely, so many thanks, although LP is sold out on the link, so I shall have to hunt.

I strongly suspect that it is what has been availble as a bootleg/unofficial release (rmoured to be via one of the band), since not long after they disbanded, in which case it is their last LP that was never put together as an actual LP. I have a very good quality download as an un-named LP but would very much like it on LP. It had been broadcast as being released "shortly" several times over several years..................

Released last year - bummer - the chances of getting that on LP at a sensible price.............................

I have looked out the bootleg and that has 13 tracks and was called "House For Sale".

Track titles may well have changed, but only one title is common to the new release and bootleg.

Record from the Ottoman

Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation. I bought a few Zappa albums in the 80s - all except Hot Rats are in the box. I'm not sure my view has changed - I like the guitar playing but the anodyne lyrics a turn me right off. Is there a more crass song that Dinah Moe Hum - but i did like Montana where the mix of frat boy and surrealism kind of works.

I streamed The Grand Wazoo afterwards ( a friend of mine bought that at the same time I bought Chunga's Revenge) and it was much more my type of thing.

Like you, I much prefer the instrumental side of his work. Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka - great albums. Most of the others (that I've heard) just don't do it for me. Always been one for music more than lyrics in general, though.

It is a really good album. Massively over-egged when referred to as the best album ever (as it often is) and I think that is what has put me off listening to it so much over the years.

It is just a very good 90's indie album. No more, no less. Going to put it on later now you've reminded me.

I’d agree with all those comments. Puts it into perfect context.

3:47 is my favourite as it has that 'complex pop' feel that you get from ELO. If that makes sense. 'Hope' is a little bit too serious for me.

Depends what your memories are of the album first time round. For example, I am fond of an old compilation album called Formula 30. Introduced me to some music I had never heard before (although that shows my musical virginity more than anything!)

advertisement

Back