advertisement

Rediscovering old albums...

Just spotted The Decline of British Sea Power on my phone, lurking from when I had an iTunes voucher years ago. I’d forgotten what a stunning album it is. It must be ten years if not fifteen since I last played it, and it still sounds as good as I remember. Listening to it now.
I've got the album but don't remember ever listening to it except for the wonderful ' something wicked' which I kept putting on compilations for myself and others. I'll dig it out and give it a listen if you think it's all good.

The Who By Numbers - saw the vinyl on the shelf and it still sounds pretty good. A couple of the songs are effectively Pete Townsend solo tracks eg Blue Red and Grey but there are some great group numbers - including Slip Kid, Dreaming from the waist plus the inimitable Squeeze Box!

I've got the album but don't remember ever listening to it except for the wonderful ' something wicked' which I kept putting on compilations for myself and others. I'll dig it out and give it a listen if you think it's all good.

I always found the first two tracks tough then it’s great from there on in!!

The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle. Been way too long since my last listen. This was one of the main soundtracks of my teenage years!

I'm currently going through Pink Floyds collection. Dark Side of the Moon and Division Bell are amazing. Plus liking the solo stuff by Roger Waters.

The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle. Been way too long since my last listen. This was one of the main soundtracks of my teenage years!

That one's never been off my playlist since I got into Bruce around 1980, New York City Serenade is close to my favorite Springsteen song, the whole of that side of the album is absolutely brilliant!

Beautiful - 4th of July is just a wonderful, wonderful song...

I was ripping some CDs the other day and came across Fiona Apple's When the pawn... and Sting's Dream of the blue turtles, I can't remember the last time I even thought of those albums let alone listened to them. I thoroughly enjoyed them both though when I gave them a play post rip.

After watching this from Rick Beato earlier I dug out the Cars first album after I know not how long. What a great record! I have a mint UK 1st press and it really sounds great too. A superb cut.

My first favourite band. Still love the first two albums. Roy Thomas Baker did a fantastic job on production. They did a great gig at that Brighton student rock thing on BBC. The students were horrible to them but The Cars were typical of a lot of American rock bands. Tight, accurate and on the money. They never broke the UK but were huge in the states. The later albums were a bit keyboardy but still love them.

Still have my picture disc of My Best Friends Girl Friend

Quite possibly my all time favourite album. Not really a big Bruce fan but that album in particular just seems to hit the spot.

Classic mid-80s "indie". The best songs had been singles e.g. I don't wanna be friends with you, and they played a great Ace of Spades live.

R-576493-1434063129-2092.jpeg.jpg

EST - Winter in Venice

I listen to EST a lot, especially in winter, but over recent years have gravitated to their later recent stuff from Strange Place for Snow onwards and the live recordings. Last night I dipped into some older records and had a wow moment when playing this one. It is quite sublime and without the bass being played through effect pedals and some of the other more rock orientated production and dynamics they used in their later stuff. This may now move to the front of the queue more often.

advertisement

Back