advertisement

Rediscovering old albums...

Comsat Angels: "Waiting for a Miracle" and " Sleep No More". Have not played these for years but played them back to back on Saturday. Always written off (at least in the music press down under) as Joy Division wannabes but are more than that, especially the opening few tracks on Waiting for a Miracle.
Excellent choice Simon. I've got those two and Fiction on vinyl and saw them live in 1981. I always bracket them with The Sound, another group who should have had more success.
I honestly don't think I've played Fiction since the 1980's so a good reminder there thanks.

LOL - that coincided with Kristin Hirsch - Hips and Makers - just a few minutes in - SUPERB.

20 years since last seeing a stylus?

Like Joni Mitchell and/or Patti Smith, how could you not like Kristin?

Throwing Muses' Real Ramona and Red Heaven came out of rack exile recently and sounded pretty damn good, as did the Kristin Hersh live album that came free with the latter.

Other recent comebacks have been False Accusations by The Robert Cray Band and pretty much all of Andy White's output, that for reasons I now cannot give I had lost touch with this century.

Popped on NeverNeverLand by The Pink Fairies today as the wife an children were out. Haven't listened to this for 15 years or so. Ran it through the RCM and it's far from mint, but very listenable. Never noticed the groovy as **** bassline to the otherwise mellow 'Wargirl' before.

Popped on NeverNeverLand by The Pink Fairies today as the wife an children were out. Haven't listened to this for 15 years or so. Ran it through the RCM and it's far from mint, but very listenable. Never noticed the groovy as **** bassline to the otherwise mellow 'Wargirl' before.

I have that album. I was given it and I have never got round to playing it. I will move it closer to the record player.
It has the stencil thing with it.

I got rid of most of vinyl my albums in the late 90's so I don't really have any stuff to pull out. I went through an exercise of reviewing albums I had that I hadn't completely rated in 2018 and 2019. I prefer listening to songs in shuffle mode so I listen to songs not albums. I also only listen to songs I like so if I didn't like it on the last pass it isn't heard again. Of the groups mentioned here Pixies, Breeders, Throwing Muses and Kristin Hersh have all been part of my playlist for years now and I'm not really getting tired of them. The only album I listened to in 2018/2019 that surprised me was Joy 1967-1990 by Ultra Vivid Scene. I liked more of it than I thought I had enjoyed. I had been listening to Special One all those years but now more of it is on my playlist.

I dug out The Crossing by Big Country for the first time in ages. I'd forgotten how good it is especially the final two tracks Fields of Fire and Porrohman. So good I had to play them twice with the volume turned up to 11.

Only £3.99 from Virgin, bargain.

Ok, I am going to say something controversial, I think the Breeders are better than the Pixies.

I am 100% right re the current respective incarnations & probably 70-80% overall.

Interesting opinion, I'm a big fan of both bands and in my opinion The Breeders are certainly better than the current Pixies but not the original line-up, which for me proves what a massive part Kim Deal plays, this was evident earlier this year when I saw The Pixies live, they were good but not great and live they lacked that certain something which for me was Kim Deal

Interesting opinion, I'm a big fan of both bands and in my opinion The Breeders are certainly better than the current Pixies but not the original line-up, which for me proves what a massive part Kim Deal plays, this was evident earlier this year when I saw The Pixies live, they were good but not great and live they lacked that certain something which for me was Kim Deal
Yes, Kim Deal made a massive difference to The Pixies, I’ve only really got into the Breeders relatively recently.

Well, not really as The Beatles are a few leagues ahead of the Pixies. & The Breeders are a band, so no real comparison at all.

as were Wings allegedly.

I love both the Pixies and Breeders, seen them both live, pixies with Kim on 2 of the 3 occasions.

At different times I’ll prefer to listen to one over the other, they are quite different but that 3-4 album burst from The Pixies is simply one of the best in rock music not just better than the Breeders.
.sjb

as were Wings allegedly.

I love both the Pixies and Breeders, seen them both live, pixies with Kim on 2 of the 3 occasions.

At different times I’ll prefer to listen to one over the other, they are quite different but that 3-4 album burst from The Pixies is simply one of the best in rock music not just better than the Breeders.
.sjb

for years I thought Doolittle was my fave Pixies album more recently I've been playing Trompe Le Monde a lot and it's as good as any of theirs in my opinion

Just played "Devo - Freedom Of Choice" for the first time in years and proper enjoyed it, vinyl of course!

I have just spent 2 hours looking for my second copy of Let England Shake (pj harvey) record, and I can't find it.

I did find Yes 'Yes' plums, which I had forgot about. Probably a good reason why it was hiding.

also found Mick Karn 'Dreams Of Reason Produce Monsters' L.P. from 1987 which I didn't know I had.

Still niffed that I couldn't find the Polly album.

I had a listen to the "new" 2017 re-recording of Rick Wakeman's The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table, phew, catching my breath!
It sounded a bit stiff and lifeless with none of the fun and presence my little noggin remembered from the last time I played the original 1975 release, possibly 20 years or more ago. The extra material just made the suite drag on longer.
This prompted me to hook out said original and I was rewarded with my memory confirmed. Very enjoyable, more dynamic in mood though not the greatest recording quality. The orchestra, choir, narrator and Ricky all hung together nicely in prog rock excess, great stuff.

Yes, Kim Deal made a massive difference to The Pixies, I’ve only really got into the Breeders relatively recently.

There was a play through of Last Splash on timstwitterlisteningparty a few months back. https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/pages/replay/feed_81.html Lots of interesting insight from the band. Reminded me what a great album it is. A couple of very Pixies-like tracks, alongside more original material, and also really well produced/recorded with lots of weird stuff going on.

advertisement

Back