advertisement

red hot vinyl

2 many boxes

pfm Member
I've just heard that the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium will be coming out on vinyl soon.

There will be 2 editions - £30 and £70 :eek: I thought I'd go for the cheaper one, but it's on red vinyl :(

I always thought that coloured records were for collectors only as they sound crap, but is that right?

The £70 edition is on dark vinyl, but I'm not that much of a fan.

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - PRICES NOW CONFIRMED
Here's a quote from Steve Hoffman's website, concerning the vinyl of "Stadium Arcadium" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers:

"We have 28 master song reels and let me tell you, the mixes are all powerful, very dynamic, tuneful, exciting and quite high fidelity sounding. All I hoped for AND MORE.
I give you my personal guarantee: YOU WILL NOT ONLY LOVE THIS ALBUM BUT YOU WILL LOVE THE WAY IT SOUNDS ON THE TWO VINYL VERSIONS.
Do not miss this one. We were all (including the WB executive who was at the studio) blown away by the power of these original "unmastered" analog mixes. My palms started sweating listening to the first notes of the first song. AMAZING DYNAMIC RANGE! When later we cued up the title track and played it full tilt, when it was over and I looked around, to my surprise the studio was crammed with people, all jaws hanging open. I had not even noticed them come in; I was totally lost in the music (always a good sign). I can't wait to hear it again (a better sign!)
Seems like I'm gushing and I guess I am. The songs are so intense and powerful and the emotion of the music is really translating well to the vinyl medium. It's just like being there. This is a must have for you Chili Peppers fans or anyone who likes music. This is a band on an inspirational roll, revitalized and immediate.
This is your chance to hear these 28 songs in "master tape quality" for the one and only time. Don't miss this on LP; spread out over eight sides for maximum dynamic range, mastered, plated and pressed at Record Tech, Inc. (RTI)."

As mentioned, the vinyl versions will be mastered by HOFFMAN/GRAY at AcousTech from the 30 ips analog mixes.

STANDARD VERSION
The 150g version will be translucent red vinyl. The 4 LPs will be housed in 2 gatefold jackets inside a rigid slipcase (we're thinking along the lines of Coldplay's X&Y) wrapped with a 4 colour printed paper wrap. This will retail for £33.

DELUXE VERSION:
This will be a 180g pressing on virgin black vinyl. These will be housed in 4 individual single outer sleeves, inside a rigid 4 colour printed two-piece box (we're thinking along the lines of the Cream "Albert Hall" box set). Also in the box will be 2 16 page booklets, one for the Mars album and one for Jupiter. The box will be wrapped in bright silver rainbow foil paper. This will retail for £75.

So a treat, not just for RHCP fans, but for analogue junkies and collectors too! Please don't delay in getting your orders in, as both versions are likely to be very limited Hope this helps ...Jim

The 150g version will be translucent red vinyl. The 4 LPs will be housed in 2 gatefold jackets inside a rigid slipcase (we're thinking along the lines of Coldplay's X&Y) wrapped with a 4 colour printed paper wrap. This will retail for £33.

Yeah, I read that on Diverse Vinyl. I'm just a bit suspicious of 'translucent red vinyl', even if it is 150g. I've seen various records in all sorts of colours over the years, including picture discs and records with a pattern burnt on with a laser, but they were all intended for collectors only, ie not really for playing.

Or maybe I'm worrying about nothing and you can dye vinyl any colour you like, it will still be the same material?

Yeah, I read that on Diverse Vinyl. I'm just a bit suspicious of 'translucent red vinyl', even if it is 150g. I've seen various records in all sorts of colours over the years, including picture discs and records with a pattern burnt on with a laser, but they were all intended for collectors only, ie not really for playing.

Or maybe I'm worrying about nothing and you can dye vinyl any colour you like, it will still be the same material?

Things with lasers burns in aren't great for playing, coloured vinyl on the other hand can be excellent. It isn't always, but then again neither is the black stuff. I have a translucent red lp which sounds decent enough. Shame it has elephant by the white stripes on it but that is a different matter.
There was something in a hifi mag a while ago (probably hifi+ as thats the last one I bought) about some company or other trying loads out and finding translucent blue was the best sounding vinyl. :)

Vinyl is transparent, you need to dye it black, so in reality normal records are coloured vinyl.

I’ve never found any correlation between vinyl colour and sound quality, though picture disks are a very different thing and best avoided IMHO.

Tony.

My white vinyl Dark Side of The Moon sounds bloody good (anyone interested pm me) and my Double Nickels On The Dime green again sounds great too; I dont think colour should mean any detriment, Ive not noticed any difference.

Those prices- and the Kraftwerk (my cd was £6)- really take the piss.

The only dodgy coloured vinyl I've ever come across, is my yellow New Boots and Panties. To be fair though it does have a sticker on the cover to warn you. It's that bad I've bought another standard copy, just to listen to, whilst holding on to the coloured one which is allegedly worth a bit of money. All my other ones are great.

Thanks for that, I never realised that black vinyl is just as dyed as all the rest.

I'll put my order in for the cheaper RHCP set. I'm just glad that these things are still being pressed. It had better be good though - no mastering errors.

All the coloured vinyl I've got is poor. I think they do it to sell an otherwise unsaleable disc:

eg: Dred Zeppelin - picture disc (Zeppelin songs played in a piss-poor Reggae style)
eg: Beatles Red and Blue albums digitally remastered (read digitally murdered) - red & blue vinyl

I prefer them in coloured vinyl because this is the only point of interest that stops me giving them to the Oxfam shop.

eg: Dred Zeppelin - picture disc (Zeppelin songs played in a piss-poor Reggae style)
Wash your mouth out with soap! How can you diss the Dreads? You missed the main point that the songs are sung by an Elvis impersonator. :)

I bet you didn't like the Rolf Harris Stairway either...

I wasn't going to mention that, but since you bring it up, Zeppelin .... in a reggae style .... sung by an Elvis impersonator. Too much. Make me a offer I can't refuse and you can have this rare collectors item!

PS: I'm not anti-reggae - One of my favourite CD's is the All Dub Stars version Dub Side of the Moon. That one's definitely not for sale.

Thanks for the kind offer, bf, but I don't like pic discs and obviously I have the first album anyway.

advertisement

Back