advertisement

Red Bull Layoffs

Cheese

Bitter lover
The thread will be shut down soon, I know.

Maybe there's still time enough for someone to explain me why such layoffs are considered right in our modern world.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/73054

The map has been existing for, I'd say, at least a decade, and has been widely forwarded on PC's and phones around the globe. I even think (not sure) that I had seen it on this site once, some years ago. I must admit, mea culpa, that I even found it funny, and it could well still rest somewhere in my gmail archive. Yet I have to add that in younger years I had the opportunity to travel by land through Pakistan, Iran and Turkey, and that I have great memories of the country and people. Islamic culture sort of suits me well in general. And, imagine!, reading 'Bombs go there' hasn't affected my overall positive view of the place in the slighest.

Showing this slide in the current context may not have been the smartest thing to do, and it's so universally known that it isn't funny any longer either. But of all those who raised the red flag, I wonder how many found the map funny too, say ten years ago, when the context was totally different and when such things were still considered jokes.

Let's also add that the map is not an attack aimed at people from a certain race, it's more a universal persiflage of stereotypes. Even the Americans get their share. Ban all stereotypes ? Okay, start by banning the stereotype that Tories are racists and leftists are snowflakes. And so on.

ha ha! i was totally confused at the beginning. i though it was about mass laying-off of regular/blue-collar workers due to pandemic-related economic crisis.

@Cheese

the picture in the link is so small, all that i could really make out was the USA part (which is very funny, now and in the past). until, i read the article, it wasn't at all obvious there was more to it. the african part is not something that merely hasn't aged well -- i can't ever remember a time/context in which that would have been considered OK.

Doesn't seem racist to me, more truthful. I admit I can't read some of the text, but a lot of zoo animals do come from Africa and there are a lot of call centres in India. It is geography based, not race based in my opinion.

Couldn't read much of it either. Bit old fashioned, and silly to think it wouldn't leak out and someone kick up a stink about it.

What pains me much more is the way they brand everything. Not that I need any encouragement to avoid their godawful drinks but that makes me want to avoid everything to do with them.

When on the phone to Sky call centre I asked the bod I was speaking to if when they look out of the window and it's a nice day do they have to say look at the blue Sky sky? Silence ensued.

Good.

Giant corporations like Red Bull have no place in, what should be, underground electronic music. Its companies like this that have diluted the scene, alienated minority artists, and generally pushed their own agenda to such an extent that terms such as "business techno" now exists. With the demise of RB, with Resident Advisor to follow, then Boiler Room and the god awful shite that goes on in Ibiza, then the blood sucking agents and talentless DJ's, hopefully the scene can return to nearer it's grass roots and allow some new, passionate and talented individuals to emerge. At present it's rancid, and companies like this are exactly the reason why.

It doesn't seem to shock many people, so there:

USA-map.jpg

Was ever so. Many years ago I worked for McDonnell Douglas I remember discussing with an Australian colleague that the americans view was the rest of the world was only there to be screwed either to make money or to screw physically.

It doesn't seem to shock many people, so there:

USA-map.jpg
It is sadly "factual" in that it is "the world according to Americans". Clearly I'm making a generalisation there, and not looking to cause offence. Rather neanderthal visualisation. If America really is #1 then why do they need to make America great again?

advertisement

Back