advertisement

recovering data from erased sd card

roman

pfm Member
The title pretty much says it all. I screwed up royally and wiped a load of photos by mistake. I realised straight away and removed the card, its not been used since. A quick search has revealed its possible to bring them back, but I'm not sure which way to go.

Has anyone had experience of this and could give me a few pointers?

thanks,

Roman

If you did a "delete all" it's unlikely that any files will be recoverable, since the delete all will do a FLASH memory erase, which resets the memory to all 1s.

If you just deleted a few files then they may be recoverable since the files will still be in the memory, just marked as deleted in the FLASH file system.

Just used recuva and its worked really well. A few corrupted files but mostly perfect.

Thanks all!

If you did a "delete all" it's unlikely that any files will be recoverable, since the delete all will do a FLASH memory erase, which resets the memory to all 1s.

I don't think that's the case. Deleting, or formating, in camera happens far to quickly for it to be doing a low level format.

In a FLASH file system if you need to free up significant storage then FLASH must be erased. FLASH memory is not like any other memory in that you cannot overwrite existing data: you must first erase one or more sectors/blocks. A sector/block erase is unrecoverable.

A FLASH sector/block erase takes milliseconds, so if you have an SD card that's nearly full and you select "Delete All" the FLASH will be erased sector by sector and data will be unrecoverable.

Obviously in the OP's case the erase all wasn't selected, or the SD card wasn't particularly full.

advertisement

Back