advertisement

records we heard in our teens or early twenties really never get bettered

cuba - my favourite rock album... I put it on last night to hear one or 2 tracks, and ended up going to bed at 1 inthe morning - I just couldnt press 'stop'.

It's not an album from my teens (Im older), but nevertheless it's a favourite.

the best albums I listened to as a teenager (I was unfortunate to have 80's music) -

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time, Live after Death
Metallica - Master of Puppets

That was it really. I was a lanky haired rip jeaned metal person..

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time, Live after Death
Metallica - Master of Puppets

That was it really. I was a lanky haired rip jeaned metal person..
I went through that phase as well. The hair wasn't so lanky though. I would drop Slayer's Reign In Blood in there, but not for everyday listening though.

Siamese dream is a wonderful album that I don't seem to have anymore. Probably a tape I had - all gone now. I must rectify this situation.

Also, Gong's Flying Teapot LP (Radio Gnome Invisible Part 1) was one of those "discovery moments" for me.

ELP playing Pictures at an Exhibition made quite an impact. But what reaaly underlined it was watching Greg Lake at Newcsatle City Hall last year 'live' where some of the PaaE music was performed so spectacularly.

Once home again, the old vinyl and newer ELP CDs got a good few hours more playing.

And as for Dark Side of the Moon, that still probably gets more plays per year than most of the older vinyls.

De La Soul - Three Feet High And Rising (well, I was 19...)
The The - Infected
The Style Council - Our Favourite Shop

I agree with the Captain on AATA; Kings of the Wild Frontier was a mindblowing experience when I was ...12.

I grew up listening to the Beatles releasing seemingly endless masterpieces one after the other. A very hard act to follow, but early punk/new wave ran it close.

mostly i am obsessed with music that was released between 1994-1998, that i heard for the first time between 1998-2000. hmm.

Well I just picked up a double cd of The Pretty Things called the psychedelc years 1966 - 70 and there's a track on there called 'talking about the good times' which i bought on 7" vinyl when i was about 15 - no wonder i've had a twisted life :]

So many....

Buddy Holly albums from the fifties, I was 10 when he died.....on 3rd Feb 1959.. my birthday. Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, CSN, Hendrix, Cream, Floyd, Dylan, Baez, Pentangle from the sixties.
Joni Mitchell from the 70's.... well, I made my teenage years last longer than most.

Test of all these albums is not whether they are/were considered 'good', but whether they still sound fresh and exciting.

So many....

Buddy Holly albums from the fifties, I was 10 when he died.....on 3rd Feb 1959.. my birthday. Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, CSN, Hendrix, Cream, Floyd, Dylan, Baez, Pentangle from the sixties.
Joni Mitchell from the 70's.... well, I made my teenage years last longer than most.

Test of all these albums is not whether they are/were considered 'good', but whether they still sound fresh and exciting.

Spot on as usual Mull.....sadly I was 13..bugger! It'd be quite difficult to forget Big Man by the 4 Preps as it happens.

Helpful tip: Go get the new Dylan, it's as good as/better than what he's done for some time (IMHO).

Regards, Dave

Anyone remember a single called "When" by the Kalin (correct me if I´m wrong) Twins - early 60s I would guess?

I bow before your superior knowledge and even longer memory. But did I listen to this a few billion times on my mate´s Dansette (on Addison Rd. ) on Saturday afternoons before going to see Cloughies´ Rams. That´s why I said early sixties - I got to it late. I could still singalong to it even now

Helpful tip: Go get the new Dylan, it's as good as/better than what he's done for some time (IMHO).

Regards, Dave

Totally agree with the thoughts on Modern Times. Musically more rustic than time out of mind, with similarly apocalyptic lyrics and some of the shimmer of Oh Mercy. Fantastic. Available on double 180 vinyl from Caiman USA for just over a fiver.

As for my teen music, up to 16 loads of rubbish heavy metal (and early Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and AC/DC which still sounds great to my ears) followed with a flirtation with prog rock (of which only the Canterbury stuff still sounds good to me).

I bow before your superior knowledge and even longer memory. But did I listen to this a few billion times on my mate´s Dansette (on Addison Rd. ) on Saturday afternoons before going to see Cloughies´ Rams. That´s why I said early sixties - I got to it late. I could still singalong to it even now

Ay up,

Cloughie was still playin' when that came out mate!

Last time I saw Cloughie playing at the Baseball Ground Middlesboro' beat us 7-0.... and he never even bloody scored!

Happy Days!

I'm just gonna have 1 last small one for the kerbside then I'm off to bed...only I've gotta be up early in the morning to bite the postman......our dog's bad!

See ya.....Dave

Anyone remember a single called "When" by the Kalin (correct me if I´m wrong) Twins - early 60s I would guess?

Of course! One of the first of a whole new genre (at the time) of '1 hit wonder annoyingly catchy vocals'.
Others included:

Here Comes Summer.... Jerry Keller
We Will Make Love .......Russ Hamilton

I'm sure there are more.

Mull.

advertisement

Back