advertisement

Records more profitable than CDs

Only time that I buy "new" CD's is from buskers/concerts - only "mainstream that I buy are charity shop. Streaming is still very much a mystery to me :)

Vinyl being more profitable isn't a surprise given the prices (as others have pointed out) - still buy the occasional new release though.

One important thing that's missing from the discussion is how much profits record companies make from vinyl records vs cds. Records may bring in higher revenues but they are also much more expensive to manufacture, store and distribute. I doubt they make more money from records actually.

As a long time record enthusiast (I never stopped buying records, or sold any of my earlier collection), I think the whole "vinyl revival" has become ridiculous. To me, the CD market seems to be in the exact position where records were 30 years ago. Dismissed as being outdated and dying, and not cool. My buying of CDs has slowed down a lot but it's more of a function of the disappearing cd shops locally and my becoming more selective of what I buy generally. However I do intend to focus a bit more on cds going forward, given the absurd prices (& sometimes dodgy quality) of used and new vinyl records.

My bigger worry is the long term maintenance of my CD player. But that's for another discussion.

Does anyone actually buy new CDs these days?

As an aside....I notice new cars mostly don't come with a CD player now?

I still do - although getting a BlueNode streamer has reduced the quantity. Physical copies of some stuff - classical , jazz, is still often only available on CD - the Another Timbre stuff for example.

I’ve not bought a cd for years.I was looking at my collection yesterday and wondered whether I should sell it.

I know too many people who did that with their vinyl collection 25 years ago and still regret it. I have a hunch CD will return as a sought after boutique product in a decade or so.

I buy new CDs as well. All classical and mostly recording that would have been released in the analogue era. I list what I want on Amazon or Presto and wait for the prices to drop.

I buy new CDs as well. All classical and mostly recording that would have been released in the analogue era. I list what I want on Amazon or Presto and wait for the prices to drop.
I don’t buy cds now because my collection mostly comprises classics from the past, some I feel that have never been superseded. I find I still prefer performances by Szell, Previn, Abbado etc. I find many new cd performances a shadow of the earlier versions. There are one or two that are interesting but they just don’t stand out. I find most of not all of the classic performances via streaming. I’ve just gradually transferred my interests to streaming as the sound and range is generally excellent. I still value and listen to vinyl and cds but not as urgently as I used to.
I’ve barely touched the cds in the last year though I really like the sound through my vintage Rotel.

I just used an online inflation calculator to see what £4 in 1976 (when I started buying records) would be now and it's just over £26, so on that basis records cost much the same now as then. At least I'm going to use that to justify my habit and don't want anyone telling me otherwise. I'm also hoping that the artists get a reasonable contribution from my purchases unlike downloads, and if that's the case don't have too much of an issue if the industry as a whole makes a bit more profit.

The current values of both new and used LP's mean that the replacement cost of a reasonably sized collection is now many thousands. I had to put mine down as a named item on my contents insurance to make sure they are covered.

The current values of both new and used LP's mean that the replacement cost of a reasonably sized collection is now many thousands. I had to put mine down as a named item on my contents insurance to make sure they are covered.

I’m working on the assumption my collection is irreplaceable. If the house burns down I move over to streaming. Just no way in hell I could find a whole lifetime of collecting and curating again. Not even worth thinking about!

I’m working on the assumption my collection is irreplaceable. If the house burns down I move over to streaming. Just no way in hell I could find a whole lifetime of collecting and curating again. Not even worth thinking about!
Most the insurance would give you is a financial leg up to start a new collection with the key recordings, and compensation for the loss of the original records. I wouldn't want to give up records forever as a result of a catastrophe but agree you could never replace the current collection. The additional premium was surprisingly low.

Most the insurance would give you is a financial leg up to start a new collection with the key recordings, and compensation for the loss of the original records. I wouldn't want to give up records forever as a result of a catastrophe but agree you could never replace the current collection. The additional premium was surprisingly low.

I have a new for old policy with an agreed replacement value on hifi components, my record collection and a few other items, it's only a few quid a month but imo worth it for the peace of mind, I hope I never need to use it though.

The only reliable indicator is the price of beer...

In 78, LPs cost £2.80, a pint of beer cost 28p, so one LP = 10 pints.

How much is a pint of beer now?

LPs are a relative bargain.

advertisement

Back