advertisement

Recording on a portable mini disc?

stairpost

Average at best.
Evenin' all,

Has anybody had good results recording onto mini disc using a portable player?

I'm looking to record some non spotify available vinyl to listen to on the walk to work, and really dont want to go the laptop digitized route. So it's either tape or mini disc.

Cheers

Rich

It was quite a robust format so why not? I think there are simpler ways to do it with a laptop and phone, but if that's what you fancy and you've got lots of spare discs...

Mini disc sounded ok to me at the time and the convenience of a pocket full of discs trumped tape but I preferred my Walkman DC-2, still got my Sharp MiniDisc MS-722 but a modern day encoded 256kb file played on whatever you like these days will blow it out the water.

I've got a portable mini disc with record function that my daughter bought when at Uni. Might have a play with that this afternoon.

Thanks all for the input.

I was a big user of mini disc years ago, but I only ever recorded onto a full size device via stereo RCAs. It's the use of the mini jack that makes me hesitant. I fear it may lead to lesser quality somehow.

I used one for Interviews at a Talking Newspaper I was involved with.
Excellent results.

Our Chairman worked for Radio 4 and they used them at the time.
In preference to portable DAT, as easier to use.

I still have a Tascam mains MD recorder.
Superb...

I used to record with them all the time when we did a community radio station back in the late 90s early 00s. They can do superb recordings, or at least the Sony ones with USB that we had* could, but it could be an absolute pain to get the levels right for anything more complicated than speech with a mic. I'd suggest trying a few sample tracks and listening back to dial in levels before committing a whole record to MiniDisc!

*And I think I still have one somewhere, but I'm not sure where...

Thanks all for the input.

I was a big user of mini disc years ago, but I only ever recorded onto a full size device via stereo RCAs. It's the use of the mini jack that makes me hesitant. I fear it may lead to lesser quality somehow.
I don't think there's any reason to believe the 3.5mm interface is poorer in quality per se - after all it was used in the fabulous D7/D8 DAT machines in the day.

The only thing to consider is the potential for the AD conversion hardware to be less good than in a bigger machine. But I have no idea.

Thanks for all the input.

I've bitten the bullet and picked up a mint Sony portable recorder. Hopefully it'll be just the job.

I used a Sony at the Talking Newspaper and it was fine.
Speech interviews sounded excellent.

That's very encouraging to hear.

After looking at prices, I made my mind up that if the recording quality direct into the portable unit via jack wasn't to my satisfaction I could pick up a full size unit at a reasonable price on which to do the recording.

another alternative mentioned is to use a smartphone as a play back device preferably one with a replaceable battery like the Windows Smartphones that can be got for peanuts these days eg the Lumia 640 updated to Window 10 & an internal SD card. 32Gb cheap enough. Buy a few batterys to keep you in action. I think you are bothering too much about sound quality for it to matter thru typical headphones unless you want to look like one of thos people with large ear muffs ;)

another alternative mentioned is to use a smartphone as a play back device preferably one with a replaceable battery like the Windows Smartphones that can be got for peanuts these days eg the Lumia 640 updated to Window 10 & an internal SD card. 32Gb cheap enough. Buy a few batterys to keep you in action. I think you are bothering too much about sound quality for it to matter thru typical headphones unless you want to look like one of thos people with large ear muffs ;)

Yes, I am very much one of those 'large ear muffs' people :)

I just found recording on my portable too fiddly and editing very limited, compared to my full size MD recorder.

advertisement

Back