advertisement

Record Weight / Clamp

funkit

pfm Member
Hi Guys, I’ve got quite a few LP’s which are slightly bent so I’m considering a record weight/ clamp. I’m not a fan of these things normally but I’m happy to get one if it doesn’t compromise my Rega P8 and it doesn’t cost a fortune too.

I’d be grateful for any advice please..

If it renders otherwise unplayable records playable, then why not? After all, you'd only need to use it with those and could set it aside for everything else.

If it renders otherwise unplayable records playable, then why not? After all, you'd only need to use it with those and could set it aside for everything else.

There are some reasons. First, there's a risk of coupling bearing noise into the platter (although that seems a bit academic on a decent bearing). But second a weight isn't really going to work to flatten a serious warp, while it's not easy to see how something would clamp to the Rega's spindle. Given that the point of modern Rega decks is minimal mass, you're also potentially adding quite a lot of it.

IME, the only one that really works for the is SME one, which screws down.

The SME or any lightweight clamp would be ideal if it’s not too heavy and it clamps securely to the spindle on my P8. I don’t want a really heavy clamp for obvious reasons explained here.

Michell makes a clamp for Rega TTs, I don't know how effective it is in practice, there's lots of weights available on the market both centre weights and peripheral whether these would be suitable for a P8 and it may be as economical to have the records flattened or replace them.

There are some reasons. First, there's a risk of coupling bearing noise into the platter (although that seems a bit academic on a decent bearing). But second a weight isn't really going to work to flatten a serious warp, while it's not easy to see how something would clamp to the Rega's spindle. Given that the point of modern Rega decks is minimal mass, you're also potentially adding quite a lot of it.

IME, the only one that really works for the is SME one, which screws down.
I'm not a fan of clamps either, especially not massy ones, but the OP seems to be contemplating using one to help flatten some 'slightly bent' records. I agree with you that there are potential problems that would mitigate against using one routinely. I guess it depends how 'bent' 'slightly bent' is, and whether that renders the records unplayable. And if so, whether a clamp would fix matters. If it did, then the downsides in terms of noise or other distortions might be acceptable for the small cost of a clamp, if the OP has several records he'd like to play but can't.

VERY CAREFULLY! I tried it a few times without success. If they still play I’d leave it.
Aye only if they are totally knackered, was sceptical myself but a mate brought an old Manics LP back from the warp of doom, it plays fine now and is nearly flat. Ran it on my Techy and it played through fine.

The SME or any lightweight clamp would be ideal if it’s not too heavy and it clamps securely to the spindle on my P8. I don’t want a really heavy clamp for obvious reasons explained here.

The SME only really works on an SME deck - it and the spindle are designed for each other. I come back to the point that, for something to really work on a warped record, it needs to exert quite a lot of force - and therefore to either be very heavy or be mechanically strenuous. My memory of the Michell clamp was that it was neither (but it's a been a while...)

If it were me, I'd just replace the vinyl if I could.

I have the Michell clamp that is used on a Thorens suspended TD145. Adds little enough weight not to upset the suspension, but clamps the record down quite well. But... I am not sure that it would do much for a warped record though - the area of clamping is only the label - quite a small part of the record.

I just looked at the Rega RP8 and it doesn’t look like it has a lot of centre spindle to clamp on to unless you have something like a Systemdek retro clamp so a weight might be more useful. Another trick I have used with warped records is to replace the standard mat with a mat that supports the record at 3 or 4 points above the platter and around the perimeter of the record. Maybe an old record with silicon bumpers attached.

It’s not warped records I’m concerned about, it’s records that are slightly bent, so when I press down near the spindle, the inner part of the record can be pressed down onto the platter. If a record is warped so much that there’s a possibility of the stylus being damaged or jumping about then the record gets dumped or maybe try to get the warp out somehow.

On my SME20 I only use the clamp and washer on visibly warped records.
I find there is more natural "ebb and flow" to the music without even if the bass is more impressive with.

As an aide, the SME clamp is quite heavy, I wouldn't use it on Rega or Linn even if they had screw-thread spindles.

I seem to remember from a friend who had a Rega TT years ago that he had a plastic/rubber puck (possibly supplied by Rega?) with very low weight that fitted tightly on the spindle that you just then pushed down on the record that seemed work for dished Records or small warps.

I seem to remember from a friend who had a Rega TT years ago that he had a plastic/rubber puck (possibly supplied by Rega?) with very low weight that fitted tightly on the spindle that you just then pushed down on the record that seemed work for dished Records or small warps.
The Pig?

No from (poor) memory the one he had was a couple of inches diameter and about 1/2” thick, hole in the middle, possibly with circular ridges? Like a large flat draught piece.

advertisement

Back