advertisement

Record sleeves

I sort records for a charity and many sleeves are coming apart, I always use Pritt Stick, if the sleeve is very glossy I 'key' the surfaces to be glued with a scapel. Usually works, And I use weight to hold the edges together until the glue has dried.

I see sleeve seam glue failure repeatedly on particular albums, off the top of my head - Kate Bush 'The Kick Inside' frequently becomes unstuck.

Any Uhu type clear glue seems to work fine.

PS Never ever even think about using sellotape, in fact people that do should be summarily executed.

Its worth remembering that packaging, and that includes record sleeves, primary function was to protect the goods/content. Some bright spark realised in the 19th century that you could advertise and promote your business by printing or decorating the packaging. This has developed to the point where the packaging becomes almost more important than the content (perfume springs to mind) and dare I say it record packaging falls into that category. Having said that, I love good record packaging and I know I am not alone. For me the appreciation of said packaging is a large part of the enduring appeal of records over other formats although some of the Japanese CD issues come close.

PS Never ever even think about using sellotape, in fact people that do should be summarily executed.

Seems a bit harsh Tony but I know what you mean. Perhaps beaten soundly on the soles of their feet until they promise never to do it again?

advertisement

Back