advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

Been to Cambridge today, the centre, not the outskirts.

Very thin pickings. The Vinyl Man in Fisher Hall has packed up and gone, as the Hall has shut. There was a stall in the Guildhall market where I purchased a vinyl, and Fopp had at least 12 records in.

Do I need to go back and look for Martix and any others is it?

Where do the student timewasters go to find thier 7"s?

DS

Avid records in Oxford, a good 2nd hand vinyl shop, looks to have shut. It means there is now only 1 small s/h vinyl shop in Oxford, on the Cowley Road, to get Vinyl, except the Oxfam shops. Actually I exaggerate: there were 2 Radiohead LPs and 1 Foals LP in HMV. Hmm. Audio T have, on the other hand, sold 3 Gyrodecs in the past 2 weeks.

Kevin

Avid in Salisbury = Shut
Avid in Bournemouth = Shut
Now Avid in Oxford = Shut (the dance music basement shut ages ago)
Massive in Oxford, Southampton and Birm = Shut

Honestly where do the timewaster students get thier trendy vinyl?

Is it all downloads is it?

DS

Avid in Salisbury = Shut
Avid in Bournemouth = Shut
Now Avid in Oxford = Shut (the dance music basement shut ages ago)
Massive in Oxford, Southampton and Birm = Shut

Honestly where do the timewaster students get thier trendy vinyl?

Is it all downloads is it?

DS

Today they time-waste on the internet. Lazy arses.

Kevin

The Record & Tape Exchange in London Road, Portsmouth has completely closed down, shutters drawn.

I also predict closure for Sweet Memories Records in Fratton Road Portsmouth, as the prices are just too high - all the album dross out at £12-15, and nicer items £25+, 12" singles £7 each!!! I left with a wafffffer thin bag.

DS

Rat Records in Camberwell South London has a good selection of Vinyl and Cd's at very reasonable prices. £10 deposit on headphones if you want to check out the quality, they say to many people trash their phones.

Dean..

I was chatting to the guy who owns Sound Knowledge in Marlborough the other day and his exact words were "We're about to dump all of our dance 12" vinyl, but we'll be keeping that space to significantly expand the rest of our vinyl selection".

It's the best news I've had in ages.

I was chatting to the guy who owns Sound Knowledge in Marlborough the other day and his exact words were "We're about to dump all of our dance 12" vinyl, but we'll be keeping that space to significantly expand the rest of our vinyl selection".

It's the best news I've had in ages.

Good news indeed.

I had a bit of shock the other week when I visted Selectadisc in Nottingham and saw a To Let sign outside. "Oh No!!!" was my instant reaction.

Its not as bad as I thought though. Its a double fronted shop and it seems the owner is retiring and has sold it to the guy who bought the old London shop and now runs it as Sister Ray, and the current Nottingham manager. They are reducing it to the single shop. So not closing anyway. Maybe new blood will reinvigorate what was a pretty decent shop anyway.

I had a good trawl in that Amoeba last year, but an even better one in the one in Berkeley.

DS

Yesterday Amoeba Records on Haight Street celebrated the independent music store as part of record store day...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-mdwzJ4UC6I

I usually make it out there 2-3 times a year and blow a few hunnerd. One of the best places for record buying on Earth.

Moar celebrations here: http://youtube.com/user/recordstoreday

I spent $200 in 15 minutes at the one in LA. In retrospect I should have just gone nuts. I've never seen that many Ruins albums in one place before or since.

Its not as bad as I thought though. Its a double fronted shop and it seems the owner is retiring and has sold it to the guy who bought the old London shop and now runs it as Sister Ray, and the current Nottingham manager. They are reducing it to the single shop.

The stock is thinned out though, and without the depth of stock it's less interesting to visit.

Tim

The stock is thinned out though, and without the depth of stock it's less interesting to visit.

Tim

For CD that maybe true yes as its the CD section that's being slimmed down. The vinyl section upstairs looks to be staying exactly the same size. To be honest it was the vinyl bit that worried me as it would leave Nottingham without somewhere to buy new vinyl if it closed. There are other places you can get CDs, though I'll admit not in quite such an interesting selection.

The way I looked at it was a Selectadisc which stays is a whole lot better than no Selectadisc at all.

There's a decent shop in Farnham, Surrey, which I believe used to belong to Ben from Ben's at Guildford. It's got a good selection of pretty much anything and the prices are decent. Stocks some new stuff too. Here's the website:

http://www.101collectorsrecords.co.uk/

There's an Oxfam in Farnham too that has some good stuff. Check it out,

Alex.

Black Cat Records in Dorchester..

has gone, now a mobile phone shop, so that's something useful is it.

DS

There's a decent shop in Farnham, Surrey, which I believe used to belong to Ben from Ben's at Guildford. It's got a good selection of pretty much anything and the prices are decent. Stocks some new stuff too. Here's the website:

http://www.101collectorsrecords.co.uk/

There's an Oxfam in Farnham too that has some good stuff. Check it out,

Alex.

Alex thanks for the tip. Oxfam was bereft of anything for my tates - it seemed to major on MOR and classical, but 101 Records was good, with as you say, new vinyl too. The filing system and comments on tabs were amusing too. I picked up a few useful items.

One the way back, I popped into Spinnadisc in Aldershot, which was crammed with records, with a lot of punk / indie (must be those rebelious soldiers). The back room with stacks of cheap records was closed.

I was hoping that some troops stationed in Cologne might have brought back crateloads of Structure and Monotone records, but this wasn't the case. Still, I got a fair crop of indie & rock.

Both shops seemd to be also selling on E-Bay, given that they had '"E-Bay sales crates" on the floor is it.

DS

Alex thanks for the tip. Oxfam was bereft of anything for my tates - it seemed to major on MOR and classical, but 101 Records was good, with as you say, new vinyl too. The filing system and comments on tabs were amusing too. I picked up a few useful items.

One the way back, I popped into Spinnadisc in Aldershot, which was crammed with records, with a lot of punk / indie (must be those rebelious soldiers). The back room with stacks of cheap records was closed.

I was hoping that some troops stationed in Cologne might have brought back crateloads of Structure and Monotone records, but this wasn't the case. Still, I got a fair crop of indie & rock.

Both shops seemd to be also selling on E-Bay, given that they had '"E-Bay sales crates" on the floor is it.

DS

Yeah, that Oxfam shop wasn't to my tastes either, but I though it could interest someone who was inclined that way... although I found Japan's first album (Adolescent Sex) and a The Fall compilation for some decent prices. Glad you liked 101! And yes, their filing system is quite amusing. I've found a lot of nice and cheap stuff there that's worth the while. I haven't been there since December, so I wouldn't know about the Ebay crates... although I think it's great as it should help maintain the record shops on the high street. Spinnadisc is really good too. Have you gone to Rock Box in Camberley? You can find a lot of new vinyl there at decent prices (e.g. cheaper than London), as well as some old stuff. It's worth the trip. The first time I went there was after the regular Camberley record fair, and I cursed at myself for not going to Rock Box before as the prices at the record fair were too expensive. Damn Me!

Happy crate digging!
Alex

Alex, Yes I have been to the Rock Box a few times, - they used to do a lot more vinyl, esp. Drum 'n'Bass, that that seems to be on the wane. The 2nd hans stock doesn't move very quickly, but I have had a few from there.

The Camberley Record Fair is the only one I have ever been to where I walked out with nothing - not a single thing! Perhpas I was unlucky on that particular outing, who knows?

DS

On a happier note, Music Search in Chertsey have taken over the old Archive records corridor.

It is stacked floor to ceiling with vinyl, (literally - boxes on top of boxes on crates on boxes on crates) which is good for quantity, but very hard to browse, but the RSA seemed to know where to look for anything like Band of Susans type musics.

Real old style shop, with 2 guys playing computer games, one having a fag and another to assist members of the buying public.

DS

advertisement

Back