advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

Worthing has:
Music Mania, independant, lots of second hand and new on all media including some new vinyl.
Random Records, independant, lots of interesting new CD and Vinyl, selective well choosen s stock.
No chain music sellers apart from woolies.

Worthing has:
Music Mania, independant, lots of second hand and new on all media including some new vinyl.
Random Records, independant, lots of interesting new CD and Vinyl, selective well choosen s stock.
No chain music sellers apart from woolies.

Richard,

I have used Music Mania, quite a bias to RAWK as I remember? Next to a tattoo palour, which is a common pattern.

Didn't know about Random, I might even go there on Saturday

DS

Is Smallfish closed now? Damn.

Yes, First the actual shop and veg cafe, and now also the internet shop as well. ONly the record label seemingly doing 3" CDs of limp electronica.

A great shame, as I often seem to pop up in the Old Street area. Now I go to RTE in Brick Lane, whilst a lot, lot bigger doesn't seem to stock the same variety of stuff, esp. on the vinyls.

DS

Manic Records, St. Albans

A shop that I had heard of and couldn't find, which probably means:

a) it has shut down

B) My usual record shop snffing gene has failed me.

Any PFMer's in St Albans / Hatfield care to confirm?

DS

For anyone in N.Ireland the New Zavvi store opening 6th of March in the Victoria Square will have 20sq ft of vinyl racks :)

My trip to That Brighton confirmed the demise of:

Music Meltdown, Dance Music Trader, Urban, Bang Bang, and worse of all Covert Records. The very cheap CD shop near Rounders has also gone, replaced by trendy clothes and a crystal / trinket shop.

How the hell they can make a living selling crystal based tat I don't know, it must be a front for drug money laundering.

Borderline has shrunk to about half size, but still has lovely new vinyl. Rounder is worth a visit, as was Edgeworld. Across the Tracks was in the usual chaos, but some good finds (e.g. GTP), and Wax Factor had the basement shut.

A CD only shop, Resident which was a bit like Fopp was a few years ago, with staff picks and racks of CDs at £5, so good luck to them.

DS

ps Planning my Cardiff trip, any update on the shops out of the City Centre from our Welsh friends?

Right, we know that Reckless has gone, I can report that Disque has also shut up, and looks to be come a tattoo palour (ref my earlier comments about them existing in the same shopping area)

Flashback was still going, and I picked up a handful of items. They had several crates of old vinyl tat outside, all for 20p a record, I am sure someone would love them. I had no joy in that part.

I didn't have time to get to Haggle (the shop), but I never used to bother anyway. Having a starting price approx. 10 x what you would normally pay for an album is taking the piss.

DS

Ta - think I'll give it a miss. Will mooch down Berwick St again tomorrow as I'm sure Revival and Sister Ray will have some old sevens that need rescuing.

Cheers

Rich

I had a look today for a shop in Church Street Cardiff I thought was called

"Onan Records and Paints" ( I know, it was confusing)

I couldn't find it, so it might have gone.

Glad to say Spillers, Kellys and Catapult still going.

DS

Whilst taking the 140 bus to Heathrow for the High End Show I was devastated to see that "Sellanby" in South Harrow has finally succumbed. Don't know when they shut up shop but it must have happened very recently as the shop looked to be completely empty but the famous (in NW London, at any rate) yellow signage was still in place. This is significant as I have always known this as one of the longest standing (and cheapest!) secondhand shops in the area. The second branch (formerly located in Eastcote) went over a year ago and now this!! Sellanby (pronounced "Sell & Buy" - nice play on words there) was a local institution, myself and friends bought our first records there. At least half of my record collection must have come from there over the years. This is nothing short of a local disaster for me! I never deserted the secondhand vinyl shops but it looks like they are deserting me.

Saturday afternoons won't be the same!

Best regards,
Mole Man

That's sad news indeed, Mole Man. I also have fond memories of both of the Sellanby shops as I grew up in Eascote. I'm sure that they are going to be sorely missed.

This thread makes rather depressing reading, and without wishing to sound smug, makes me all the more grateful that I now live in Shibuya in Tokyo where both second hand & new vinyl is still easy to come by...

Cheers,

Adrian

Hi all just to brighten a sadish thread.

New Audiophile record store in Lambs Conduit Street London WC1 180g records of the Soul, Funk and Jazz kind with other re-issues and genre's too.

There's a S/H records shop in Dawes road Fulham which has just moved to a bigger shop and I've forgotten the name sorry but its easy to find just by the corner of Filmer Rd SW6.

Also there is Retrobloke records Church St London NW4 Hendon.

My favorite S/H stores are the 2 Flashback record shops in Islington and Crouch End they grade all their releases and are pretty spot with the grade and the prices are fair I bought a few crackers in there, keep it quite though. ;)

Anyone looking for S/H shops should grab a copy of Record Collector they have listings for the whole country.

So some are closing but many are surviving and I hope they carry on surviving.

Dean..

Hi all just to brighten a sadish thread.

New Audiophile record store in Lambs Conduit Street London WC1 180g records of the Soul, Funk and Jazz kind with other re-issues and genre's too.

Great! Thanks Dean.

Lambs Conduit is an interesting choice of location. I guess by picking that spot and going for high quality pressings they're going for the top end of the market alongside the posh deli, the nice books shops etc along that stretch. Could be smart move.

Great! Thanks Dean.

Lambs Conduit is an interesting choice of location. I guess by picking that spot and going for high quality pressings they're going for the top end of the market alongside the posh deli, the nice books shops etc along that stretch. Could be smart move.

Yeah Paul its the front of a PR firm called Cube the shops been a florist and then an old fashioned sweet shop and now a record shop. Its a great place to have shop but it needs a bit of promotion so people know its there.

Dean..

I will wander over there on monday to check it out. Great bike shop (bikefix) along there as well.

Archive Records in Addlestone is now a bridal shop.

Their new address appears to be a residential semi.

I conclude therefore that they are shut.

DS

There are two good S/H record shops in Hull (haven't been to either for a while as I no longer work in Hull, so might not be there anymore) - Norman's Place on Anlaby rd has always had a good selection, and the owner is always happy to knock a few pounds off decent-sized purchases. Best section is that labelled 'Weird Bastards'.

The other's name escapes me, but is down the side of a church next to the market place in the old town (ChurchSide?). The owner is, again, a nice chap, but he is occasionally reluctant to sell the 'currently playing' record, as he has a genuine interest in the stuff he sells. Always happy to chat.

Both of these shop owners are selling stuff via the internet now (ebay, I assume), but worth a visit if in the area.

There is a third s/h record shop close to the university, but the chap there is a little on the tight-fisted side and is very hard to bargain with. Has a good selection of 50's onwards stuff though, so still worth a look.

There are two good S/H record shops in Hull (haven't been to either for a while as I no longer work in Hull, so might not be there anymore) - Norman's Place on Anlaby rd has always had a good selection, and the owner is always happy to knock a few pounds off decent-sized purchases. Best section is that labelled 'Weird Bastards'.

The other's name escapes me, but is down the side of a church next to the market place in the old town (ChurchSide?). The owner is, again, a nice chap, but he is occasionally reluctant to sell the 'currently playing' record, as he has a genuine interest in the stuff he sells. Always happy to chat.

Both of these shop owners are selling stuff via the internet now (ebay, I assume), but worth a visit if in the area.

There is a third s/h record shop close to the university, but the chap there is a little on the tight-fisted side and is very hard to bargain with. Has a good selection of 50's onwards stuff though, so still worth a look.

Andrew - as a Hullite vinyl addict here's the latest....

The one down the side of the church is Off Beat (used to be down High Street) and yes the guy is a real music lover - got talking to him the other day about The Fall and couldn't get away.

If you go inside the Trinity market just behind him then you will find Spin It. Run by Steve - he gets some seriously nice vinyl in and sells the best on eBay and the rest in the shop. He has loads of stuff "out the back" so you need to tell him what you are after. He spends the early part of the week out buying (while his mate runs the shop) so best to go in back end of the week as he knows best where the stuff is and what he's got off-site etc.

The one near the Uni is Golden Oldies (used to be down Princes Avenue) and it is bloody awful. I bet he has the same grotty stock in that has been flicked through for decades...avoid!

Last time I went in Norm's Place he had been closed for months as he was getting fed up with the shop and was doing better on internet. Wouldn't be surprised if he has closed but its hard to tell with his random policy re opening (incl not being open on Saturdays!)

One you missed is Disc Discovery on Spring Bank (near town) - brilliant shop run by my mate Darren. You need to haggle though (but don't tell him I said so!)

Cheers

Rich

advertisement

Back