Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Record player for 8-year old

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Pelham, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Pelham

Pelham pfm Member

It's my boy's birthday coming up. I remember having an 'all-in-one' dansette-like record player at a similar age and I've got loads of vinyl in the basement to explore. I wondered whether anyone has anything available or suggestions about what to buy.

Yes...there's Alexa, Spotify, or a tablet...he already uses Spotify on our mobs but I don't want to handover a tablet until he's older. There is a kids' Alexa which looks pretty fun and he might enjoy it more than a rickety old record player but he's the kind of child that reads loads and I think he'd enjoy sleeve notes and cover imagery that just isn't available these days. We're near Bath/Bristol in case a pickup is in order.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Pelham

Mods - please feel free to shift this around if you feel this is a more philosophical discussion as opposed to a WTD post. Apologies if I've caused problems.

francoblanco likes this.
  2. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

If you’re not up-to-date on s/h vinyl prices do double check what you’ve got before entrusting your son with it!

Lovely idea though, so good luck in your search.

3. H20GNA

H20GNA pfm Member

Not a good swap :)

Gary

4. Bart

Bart pfm Member

I would respectfully suggest getting him interested in cd’s instead via a mini system, cd’s are very cheap 2nd hand, less prone to damage, equipment is smaller and more child friendly….plus a few more advantages I’m sure.
    You could even sell some old vinyl to fund it!

5. tifino

tifino pfm Member

6. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

7. Bart

Bart pfm Member

By the way, are you talking 45s or 33s (or 78s!). If 45s don’t forget you would need an autochanger ideally.

8. Weiss-Man

Weiss-Man pfm Member

Ok, there’s no easy way to say this. If you get him something billy basic, he’s only going to want to upgrade within a few weeks (I.e Rega P8 will only keep him entertained for so long) and then there’s going to be a P10 on next years birthday list, if not Christmas? Then, is the amplifier letting things down, and the speakers, are they doing the new wiring loom justice…………….. Hang about, does this sound familiar???

Sorry I’ve been of little help, I hope you find something that does him proud.

9. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

I support the CD idea rather than vinyl. You can still touch the software and they are dead cheap if music tastes expand

1964meb likes this.
  10. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

My 9 year old has been using the Technics SL7 in the living room system since she was about 4, with no problems at all, and she's never damaged any of my vinyl. Kids can be taught to take care of things. Great decks, and Audio Technica still make a couple of decent P mount cartridges that work well with it. Now she's 9 she happily uses a Conrad Johnson valve preamp, a Quad 306, and a Meridian 561 into Tannoy Mansfields as well as the Technics, and knows which order to turn everything on and off in.

11. Brian Ellis

Brian Ellis pfm Member

I think a CD player has zero chance of sparking a young boys interest in the mechanics of how something works. Looking back I would have loved to have bought my sons a record player when they were young. They would have had great fun watching it work and learning how to take apart, replace belts and cartridges which can be purchased very cheaply. Hope you find something suitable and your son loves to bits.

12. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Keep it cheap. if he’s not interested then it was worth a go.

My son is 15, massively into his music but listens almost exclusively to Spotify. What he does have is a Nobsound bluetooth amp and some JPW Mini speakers driven by his Iphone - he loves it! That’s what I’d do anyway.

13. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I wish I still had the mindset I did when I was eight, I had an Alba all in one… it was terrible, but I loved the music coming out of it. I was aware of proper HIFI, my dad had proper HIFI, as did my aunt (she’s a full on audiophile)… but I was happy with what I had. The undoing was when that system died, and my aunt gave me a Rotel RA311 and some Castle Richmond speakers, and I found a Hitachi direct drive deck in the bargain pages… the difference was phenomenal, and I’ve always wanted more from that day.

Anyway, back to the OP and back on topic, I bought my daughter an Aiwa PX-850 as her first turntable, cost £15 on eBay and it’s fully automatic and has a built in phono stage… sounds better than you might expect… she has a Rega RP3 now, and my nephew is enjoying the Aiwa (he’s 10).

I have a small amp here, it’s a bit of a china special, my late uncle bought it for his kitchen… has a tuner, Bluetooth, SD reader built in, and is free if it’s collected from me in the West Midlands… if another Fishie can find a cheap pair of speakers, then all you need is a deck like the Aiwa, and you’re good to go.

14. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

I agree with you Brian if the purpose is to get a child into something mechanical. My recommendation for a CD player was purely on the basis that if you want to introduce a child to wide ranging music and in a hard media sort of way, then CDs are a good start, and they are cheap to buy if the child doesn't like the music .

Depends on the main purpose of wanting to introduce an 8 year old to a record deck - mechanics and/or physical media music

Clive D likes this.
  15. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Trade: ^'- -'^

My eldest son had a turntable when he was four. Had an Ariston in early teens and an LP12 a few years later. Didn't catch the vinyl bug but he never had a problem using records and never damaged a record player.

If you think your son is careful enough to use a turntable he probably is.

16. Westendboy

Westendboy pfm Member

Have a look at The House of Marley turntable. The are a couple of useful features included plus you can buy a complete set up or add to it later. Even better if You can find a unit on the second hand market.