advertisement

Record Label Protector

HI John
great Idea, but what natual stone tiles are they in your pictures it's not Travertine, so what are they? (I should know but it esapes me).
cheers Rik

Chaps

My dog is still licking his testicles.

On a more serious note, should not ionised water be used for rinsing records ?

Regards

Mick

Care Mick; just to correct you mistake, use de-ionised water please. The salts dissolved in regular tap will leave a deposit on vinyl. De-ionised can be bought from various places, or obtained from friendly people who have access to labs.

Just came across this while looking through some old threads on record cleaning. When you defrost the fridge or freezer, is the water obtained that way not pure enough to use for rinsing? I remember my father used to keep it for car batteries, and he said it was as good as distilled water.

On a more serious note, should not ionised water be used for rinsing records ?

Regards

Mick

Certainly down "our" way I would. You can walk on the water in Seend (where our house is) and I suspect it's just as hard in Swindon. We're renting in Derby at present where the water is much softer, and I'm reasonably happy to rinse with tap water here. In Greater Manchester I wouldn't give it a second thought as it's very soft indeed. In Wilts, however, I would never use the tap water and always use de-ionised.

By the way, it's much cheaper to get the water from a car spares or hardware shop. Chemists charge a ridiculous amount for it.

Whilst on the subject of the Knosti; I have had superb results with this but records MUST be rinsed after cleaning or the sludge just dries back in the groove leaving a messy job for the stylus (and boy, does it get crappy). However if you give the record a good rinse after cleaning they come out excellent and leave no residue on the stylus when played. I really think the Knosti is under-rated. It also comes with a version of the protectors mentioned in the op.

Cheers,

Nic.

My source for tap water is very good. I clean most every used vinyl album I get now. Funny how many of them look superb in the lighting at the store but under my halogen lamp not. Anyway I still think you get a better clean and rinse using my method. I could easily go through a gallon of rinse water for one side of an LP.

Mick,

I have to say - you had we chuckling about your dogs nuts getting nipped by the dog groomer and the dog reaching in an appropriate way.

Regards,

Gordon

advertisement

Back