advertisement

Record Company Catalogues?

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
This may be one for Tony.
Does anyone know of a source, preferably on line, of information on the back catalogue of record companies?

EG. Decca SXL series vinyl.. is there a complete list on the net?

Another Eg. Today I bought a 10" LP on Phillips. GBR 6509 Beethoven's 5th, Ormandy, The Philadelphia Orch. No dates on it anywhere that I can see. Surely somewhere there's a list of this Phillips series?

Some of the classical dealers list what appear to be almost complete collections of various series, but there are always gaps. (Usually the ones I have........)
Another one which interests me is the London UK issued singles from the 50s. They seem to have had the same number on both 45 and 78 issues. Most numbers were HL 8*** or whatever, but some had HLD, HLU, HLA, HLP etc., prefixes, for no good reason that I can determine.

Can anyone help me with my audio 'train spotting'?

Mull

Probably the best source is the Rare Classical Record Price Guide by Sylverwood Press, it has listings of every ALP, ASD, 33CX, SAX, LXT, SXL and I believe a few more since my copy was published (I have the 2004 copy). It looks like the 2008 edition should be around soon. I have a full SXL list - I'll bung it in the FAQ room if you want, but not much else on file - I just use the book and google catalogue numbers for items it doesn't cover.

Finding info on Philips is really challenging. I've no good source.

Tony.

Thanks Tony. I found a reference today which lumped Phillips and Decca together, but only for recent stuff. It really is confusing. I may have to write a letter.......

Col

advertisement

Back