advertisement

Record collection pedantry

Nigel

pfm Member
In your record and CD racks, would you place Dave Gilmour before David Bowie? I personally wouldn't but I know friends who would. My alphabetical order is decided by the artist's surname.

Also, is The classed as the first word of the group name or is it the group name? The Beatles under B or T?

Maybe your collection isn't even in alphabetical order!

The Beatles under ‘B’
Bowie under ‘B’
Gilmour under ‘G’
The The under ‘T’

Anything else is a breach of international law.

PS I arrange albums within artist by release date order, e.g. Ziggy is before Aladdin Sane and after Hunky Dory. I believe some people, who are wrong, arrange alphabetically within artist.

Yeah chronologically within artist although I do tend to put compilations (changesonebowie for example) at the end as I like the nice run of original material studio albums. Bowie’s spate of recent live albums have somewhat annoyed me from a filing perspective (not a musical one I hasten to add)

By genre, then by artist (surname) then chronologically by recording date. Like Ricky this sometimes gets fudged a bit i.e. there's a section of dubious provenance Coltrane live LPs all filed together.

Japanese stores often do it alphabetically by first name but we'll let them off and the norm for Japanese names is surname before first name so it all gets a bit confusing anyway.

Lots of jazz stores also order by instrument - a filing system that would obviously be complete madness to adopt.

21-1.jpeg

I tend to adhere to Tony’s maxim but am a bit more relaxed, I wouldn’t cry if Bowie was placed before the Beatles but all the letters have to be grouped together.

I have found records where they shouldn’t be but anyone who files by first name should be shot.

Where do you put sound tracks? Say Grease? With the rest of the soundtracks alphabetically by show/fim name or with John Travolta?

In your record and CD racks, would you place Dave Gilmour before David Bowie? I personally wouldn't but I know friends who would.

Presumably these people are under 5s. I can't believe anyone over 5 would find this acceptable. I mean, would you expect to find Shakespeare under W?

Where do you put sound tracks? Say Grease? With the rest of the soundtracks alphabetically by show/fim name or with John Travolta?
V for various.

I don't go any deeper than alphabetized by surname or band name - it makes for ease in putting them back but finding them is another .after.

The Beatles under T, David Bowie under D, Dave Gimour (not that I've got any of his work) would be under D and before David Bowie and so on. Compilations etc fit in where they fall, alphabetically. Must be under 5, I suppose.

V for various.

I don't go any deeper than alphabetized by surname or band name - it makes for ease in putting them back but finding them is another .after.

I don't have so many but my problem is I forget exactly how I did it! Is The Bodyguard in sound tracks, various or with Whitney?

I’d just chuck them under ‘various’ right at the end of the collection unless you have a sufficient number to justify a dedicated section. I’ve got hardly any, and most go under the band e.g. Pink Floyd’s More, Philip Glass Koyaanisqatsi etc. I’d put Saturday Night Fever under ‘S’ in the ‘various’ category, though I can see an argument for someone who was a real Bee Gees fan and not interested in the rest filing it in with their Bee Gees collection. In a shop I’d have a dedicated ‘soundtrack’ section as inevitably a fair few come in with collections etc. I’d still stick Koyaanisqatsi under Glass, Alfie as a Sonny Rollins album in the jazz section etc.

PS If you meant ‘Soundtracks’ that goes between Monster Movie and Tago Mago.

I don't have so many but my problem is I forget exactly how I did it! Is The Bodyguard in sound tracks, various or with Whitney?
I had to check the track listing but as the likes of Lisa Stanfield, Kenny G etc. also perform some of the tracks, it goes under 'V' for me. If an OST is single artist, like Tron OST by Daft Punk then it would go under 'D'......or is it 'P'?!!!!*

*I know it's 'D'!

Where do Prince albums go, after he changed his name to symbol/squiggle (not that I have any...)

Soundtracks go under ‘o’, ‘Original Sound Track. I abbreviate this to ‘O.S.T’.

I do have two indexed books, one for vinyl & the other for CD.

advertisement

Back