advertisement

Record Cleaning Machines.

OSHA - Occupational Safety and Health Act.Guidelines
2 types Industrial US designed to blast off dirt
normally 35khz insert a piece of tin foil & see whats happens
100-120+db outputs are common @ 1metre
US cleaner designed only to clean records generally 80-125kz

Ultrasonic” is generally defined as sound above the range of hearing, which for most people is any sound over 20 kHz or 20,000 cycles per second. The lowest frequency used in a commercial ultrasonic cleaner is typically 25 kHz, which suggests that an ultrasonic cleaner operates silently.
In fact, ultrasonic cleaners do create noise as the frequencies are converted to cavitation action that impacts not only the objects being cleaned but also the cleaning tank itself. As described by OSHA “Most of the audible noise associated with ultrasonic sources, r ultrasonic cleaners, consists of subharmonics of the machine’s major ultrasonic frequencies.”

The noise effect is most pronounced in ultrasonic cleaners operating at lower frequencies. For example, there is a noticeable difference between 25 kHz and 37 kHz. Units operating at 25 kHz are most often used in applications such as for cleaning, degreasing or deburring heavy metal products such as engine components. In contrast, cleaners are almost silent when operating at 87-125 kHz.
Companies employing personnel who operate low-frequency ultrasonic cleaners s should provide protection against potential hearing damage. For this reason hearing protection devices are widely used in such circumstances.
Equipment can be designed to reduce noise.
with an optional insulated hinged lid which in addition to dramatically reducing noise also improves thermal insulation.
Another option is to encase the cleaner with sound-deadening panels including a removable lid. This is most practical when the cleaning operation can be automated – i.e. with a timed cleaning cycle that automatically shuts off. Operators do not have to constantly attend the equipment and can direct their attention to tasks in other areas of the plant.
So, when it comes to dealing with audible noise generated by ultrasonic cleaners, “getting used to it” is not the answer. If the unit you purchase does not address this, hearing protection and applying sound insulation panels are recommended procedures.

later I bought aVP1 16.5 very good machine but noisy.

Had mine 20 years; excellent but not noisy (but I am a bit Mutt & Jeff) There was one advertised here and poss. on the Wam for a reasonable figure; didn't see it sell, so maybe still available. Used, these are £350 to £400. Wouldn't give house room to an ultrasonic unless it vacuums the fluid to virtually dry, and most don't.

I bought an Okki Nokki One a few months ago. Superb machine. I have cleaned over 200 records to date and i5 has operated perfectly.
They are just within your budget but stock levels means they may be a bit hard to get hold of.
The vacuum is fairly quiet too.
I can certainly recommend one, it’s @ great buy..

Yeah, vacuum machines are noisy, but most aren't that noisy. My VCS isn't as loud as the house vacuum cleaner, and I can easily sit next to it to operate it without needing any ear protection or feeling it's uncomfortably loud.

Another VCS silver here Mull, light and compact enough to put away, I preferred the design and capacity over the VCE and not too noisy in use although if you sit up close DIY-type ear defenders can be used of course. I only ever clean a handful of records at a time so it doesn’t get too boring.

Thanks for all input.
I have asked my dealer to put aside a Pro-ject machine. The more compact one... can't recall the model No.

My thinking is that I've managed pretty well without a machine, as a vinyl purchaser for 60 years...so anything competent for sensible money ought to do. Purchasing via my dealer for the same price as 'online', gives me some warranty/backup.

I have never really done the comparison of a new record 'as is', versus a new record cleaned to remove alleged 'mould release agent etc.'

All of my own purchases stay clean..apart from the dust which is a residential hazard of living next to open farmland. I have cleaned especially filthy s/h records just using newspaper as a mat and brushing around with dilute IPA and an old carbon brush, before rinsing under a cold tap, avoiding labels..then leaving to drain in the dishrack.
At this point, the OCD folks will be throwing their hands in the air and muttering about 'residues from tap water' etc.. But if you think about it, almost all of the water drains round the grooves to the 'bottom' where they can be 'swabbed off'. It is very much better than nothing.

I suppose even a record which is kept clean...is eventually going to accumulate a few 'wear' products, which are best removed.

But a little machine which I can either keep in the garage, or somewhere else out of the way..will do me. A nice new toy!

I looked into the Pro-Ject machines and the Okki Nokki One when I was looking for an RCM… I was initially just going to get one of the Pro-Ject machines but when I actually saw them in the flesh, I much preferred the Okki Nokki, it’s just a more solid and complete product, quiet for a vaccum RCM too. The vacuum arm on the new ones has a switch for 7, 10 and 12” discs, you have to buy a separate vacuum arm for anything other than a 12” disc on the Pro-Ject machines, at a significant premium. I also prefer the full platter on the Okki Nokki… some people think the uncleaned side of the disc will contaminate the platter, and then the side of the disc you’ve just cleaned, two (three) things, that rarely happens, if the platter does get contaminated, it’s an RCM, it can clean it’s own platter, and if you do prefer not to have a platter, like the Pro-Ject machines, you can remove it, there’s a “label only” platter underneath… not sure why you would though, the full platter makes it much easier to work the fluid in. The downside is that it is £500, so not a beer money purchase by any means… no regrets here though, it’s been a game changer for me.

Thanks for all input.
I have asked my dealer to put aside a Pro-ject machine. The more compact one... can't recall the model No.

My thinking is that I've managed pretty well without a machine, as a vinyl purchaser for 60 years...so anything competent for sensible money ought to do. Purchasing via my dealer for the same price as 'online', gives me some warranty/backup.

I have never really done the comparison of a new record 'as is', versus a new record cleaned to remove alleged 'mould release agent etc.'

All of my own purchases stay clean..apart from the dust which is a residential hazard of living next to open farmland. I have cleaned especially filthy s/h records just using newspaper as a mat and brushing around with dilute IPA and an old carbon brush, before rinsing under a cold tap, avoiding labels..then leaving to drain in the dishrack.
At this point, the OCD folks will be throwing their hands in the air and muttering about 'residues from tap water' etc.. But if you think about it, almost all of the water drains round the grooves to the 'bottom' where they can be 'swabbed off'. It is very much better than nothing.

I suppose even a record which is kept clean...is eventually going to accumulate a few 'wear' products, which are best removed.

But a little machine which I can either keep in the garage, or somewhere else out of the way..will do me. A nice new toy!

Ask your dealer to hear one before parting with you £££££

My Project RCM has transformed noisy s/h records into almost new. After I cleaned all of my existing records the dirty water that came out of the RCM was the colour of urine!

My records were never left out of the sleeves and were always in anti-static sleeves.

I've been using the Project machine for a couple of years with no complaints at all, I had a degritter machine from the initial production run but sent it back as it developed a fault and had a refund. I've tried many recipes for the cleaning fluid and to date the best I've tried is the Library of Congress formula which uses Tergitol as the wetting agent. You can buy the Terigitol off ebay in small 5ml bottles for around £5 and this will last you a lifetime

I use an Okki Nokki MkII. It is a bit noisy but does a great job.

I purchased an Okki Nokki Mk.1 when they were first released, at a special price of £189. 10+ years later and it's still working fine, having cleaned well over 1,000 albums. I do both new and second hand albums: I normally wait until there's 7-10 in a pile and have a session.

It's hard to remember what not having one is like, as it's become second nature to clean all incoming records. Yes, it's a noisy vacuum cleaner, but playing music sort of drowns it out. It's an uncomplicated, 'agricultural' looking machine but simple to use. I use L'art du Son & distilled water.

I looked into the Pro-Ject machines and the Okki Nokki One when I was looking for an RCM… I was initially just going to get one of the Pro-Ject machines but when I actually saw them in the flesh, I much preferred the Okki Nokki, it’s just a more solid and complete product, quiet for a vaccum RCM too. The vacuum arm on the new ones has a switch for 7, 10 and 12” discs, you have to buy a separate vacuum arm for anything other than a 12” disc on the Pro-Ject machines, at a significant premium. I also prefer the full platter on the Okki Nokki… some people think the uncleaned side of the disc will contaminate the platter, and then the side of the disc you’ve just cleaned, two (three) things, that rarely happens, if the platter does get contaminated, it’s an RCM, it can clean it’s own platter, and if you do prefer not to have a platter, like the Pro-Ject machines, you can remove it, there’s a “label only” platter underneath… not sure why you would though, the full platter makes it much easier to work the fluid in. The downside is that it is £500, so not a beer money purchase by any means… no regrets here though, it’s been a game changer for me.

Yes, I totally agree. I am delighted with my Okki Nokki One purchase that I imported from Italy a few months ago as none were in stock in the UK. Saved nearly £100 on the purchase price too including the VAT and £5 handling fee. The downside is that if it develops a fault under warranty, then I would have to return it to the dealer in Italy. That is a chance that I took and on the money saved, I could afford to do that if needs be. I too looked at both of the Project RCM's and overall I felt that the Okki Nokki One was the better overall choice as it offered more features that would cost extra on the Project machines. I was tempted by the Project VC-S but it was a quite a bit larger in footprint and would command more space than the Okki Nokki One. The one thing that I can't understand is that they do not appear to be in stock anywhere at all at present, so are Okki Nokki having manufacturing problems or supply problems ???? Does anybody know ?

I've been using the Project machine for a couple of years with no complaints at all, I had a degritter machine from the initial production run but sent it back as it developed a fault and had a refund. I've tried many recipes for the cleaning fluid and to date the best I've tried is the Library of Congress formula which uses Tergitol as the wetting agent. You can buy the Terigitol off ebay in small 5ml bottles for around £5 and this will last you a lifetime

I use Tween20 in a similar way, no point paying silly money for cleaning solutions...

Yes, I totally agree. I am delighted with my Okki Nokki One purchase that I imported from Italy a few months ago as none were in stock in the UK. Saved nearly £100 on the purchase price too including the VAT and £5 handling fee. The downside is that if it develops a fault under warranty, then I would have to return it to the dealer in Italy. That is a chance that I took and on the money saved, I could afford to do that if needs be. I too looked at both of the Project RCM's and overall I felt that the Okki Nokki One was the better overall choice as it offered more features that would cost extra on the Project machines. I was tempted by the Project VC-S but it was a quite a bit larger in footprint and would command more space than the Okki Nokki One. The one thing that I can't understand is that they do not appear to be in stock anywhere at all at present, so are Okki Nokki having manufacturing problems or supply problems ???? Does anybody know ?
Possibly a brexit induced driver shortage impact. I was able to visit my dealer and walk out with one the same day, but that was back in April.

advertisement

Back