advertisement

Record Cleaning: L'Art Du Son vs Homebrew IPA solutions

I have just taken 10g of double strength Fairy Liquid down to a sooty stain in a stainless steel bowl - which weighs all but nothing - the stain that is - unmeasurable on an O-Haus laboratory balance that can be read to 0.02g.
Once it is cold, I will taste the ash - if there is salt there, it will be tasteable.

Another urban myth I very strongly suspect.

I have just taken 10g of Fairy Liquid down to a sooty stain in a stainless steel bowl - which weighs all but nothing - the stain that is - unmeasurable on an O-Haus laboratory balance that can be read to 0.02g.
Once it is cold, I will taste the ash - if there is salt there, it will be tasteable.

Another urban myth I very strongly suspect.

As no doubt will Bitrex!
Not an urban myth as confirmed by Procter & Gamble in their reply to the environmentalist group...

Amazingly, it does taste VERY slightly salty, but so slight that I could even be wrong, and that might have formed from sodium ions from the anionic surfactant combining with some chlorine from elsewhere in the surfactants - the sodium will not be burnt or evaporated off, so would form a simple compound with something.

Given that the residue was below 0.02g from 10g, and was mostly black char, I'd say that there was no more than minute amounts of salt in my bottle of Fairy Liquid, and probably none.

Not an urban myth as confirmed by Procter & Gamble in their reply to the environmentalist group..

But in minute amounts. There is no way that I have evaporated common salt from a vessel that got nowhere near red hot, leave alone hotter.

I do not have any silver nitrate to test for chloride, and a flame test for sodium would be inconclusive as there is sodium, literally, everywhere.

According to "The Ecologist"... but I misread it and it was not confirmed by P&G

• Aqua
• Sodium laureth sulphate
• Alcohol denat
• Lauramine oxide
• C9-11 pareth-8
• Sodium chloride
• 1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine
• PPG (polypropylene glycols)
• Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate
• Parfum
• Geraniol
• Limonene
• Colourant

But in minute amounts. There is no way that I have evaporated common salt from a vessel that got nowhere near red hot, leave alone hotter.

I do not have any silver nitrate to test for chloride, and a flame test for sodium would be inconclusive as there is sodium, literally, everywhere.

Seems likely from your test that in only fairly small quantities yes.... lots of sites about car care etc came up in search and all saying to avoid it due to high salt content... but see my post above about the veracity of what one reads on the interweb! Enough Chinese whispers and lack of knowledge means that apparently some people into stereos believe mains cables and fuses have a sound would you believe!:eek::D

Like I said - maybe in VERY small amounts there is salt, but at substantially less than 0.2%

I cannot see any logic to adding salt anyway, despite the near certain nonsense online that it increases viscosity - HOW? The next experiment would be to add salt and see if the viscosity increased - I have no viscometer but could lash-up a viscosity cup I suppose.

OK well it definitely DOES contain salt... Ingredients list from manufacturer of Ecover environmentally friendly washing up liquid:

"IngredientsEcover Washing Up Liquid - Complete ingredients list:
The list below displays ingredients in descending order, with those present in highest quantities first.

Camomile and Clementine Washing Up Liquid
Aqua, Sodium lauryl sulfate, Lauryl glucoside, Glycereth -6 Cocoate, Coco-glucoside, Lactic acid, Sodium chloride, Sodium octyl sulphate, Alcohol denat., Parfum, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium citrate

Lemon & Aloe Vera Washing Up Liquid
Aqua, Fatty alcohol sulfate, Lauryl glucoside, Alcohol denat., Sodium chloride, Sodium citrate, Citric acid, Parfum, Limonene, Citral, Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice
Contents: 950ml
Product code: EWASH1L"

FWIW a "myth buster" site says that rumours of washing up liquid being bad for vehicle cleaning due to high salt content is NOT a myth...

Maybe Fairy Liquid is the odd one out, it is not on the ingredient list. Use Fairy Liquid for washing your car if you really need to wash a car, or even records.
Do not forget that ingredients have to be declared in descending order of concentration. All that is saying is that there is more salt than some ingredients that are there in minute amounts.

ed. - just checked the bottle of shampoo in the bathroom - VERY similar to your washing-up liquid ingredient list.

Maybe Fairy Liquid is the odd one out, it is not on the ingredient list. Use Fairy Liquid for washing your car if you really need to wash a car, or even records.
Do not forget that ingredients have to be declared in descending order of concentration. All that is saying is that there is more salt than some ingredients that are there in minute amounts.

Yep one site says it's not on Fairy ingredients list...
Wikipedia on it just says "salt's" as a common ingredient of generic brands...

Lord alone knows what it might be there for, and there is always the (slim) possibility that it is a minor contaminant/ingredient in one of the other ingredients.

Lost track of chemical industry friends a long while ago and have no access to an analytical lab' now either, although quantitative analysis for these sorts of things - surfactants, perfumes etc. would be far from simple unless things were specifically set up to do it. Sodium and chloride content would be easy enough though.

I just CANNOT be bothered ashing shampoo after the Fairy experiment..................

Lord alone knows what it might be there for, and there is always the (slim) possibility that it is a minor contaminant/ingredient in one of the other ingredients.

Lost track of chemical industry friends a long while ago and have no access to an analytical lab' now either, although quantitative analysis for these sorts of things - surfactants, perfumes etc. would be far from simple unless things were specifically set up to do it. Sodium and chloride content would be easy enough though.

I just CANNOT be bothered ashing shampoo after the Fairy experiment..................

Looked at my shampoo bottle and sodium chloride listed as 3rd biggest ingredient!

some of the sites were saying that in conjunction with other ingredients salt increases viscosity and that's why they add it...
FWIW if you mix W.U.L with a bit of turps it turns into a gel that's really good for washing oil off your hands... it looks and works remarkably like... Swarfega....

Go on , do it, add salt to washing up liquid its mint.

LLLOL
To measure viscosity, I'd need to lash up a viscosity cup and I can't think of anything reasonably small enough at the moment, that I'd willingly drill a hole in the bottom of. Some kind of bottle lid that holds 10-20ml????

The difficulty that I have is that salt has two monovalent ions. If one was divalent, such as magnesium, (or even trivalent - aluminium) that could very obviously have an effect.

Whilst I did work for a company called Alchemist....:D

How many "sane audiophiles" (oxymoron anyone?) are now in kitchen adding salt to fairy liquid I wonder?:rolleyes:

just off to kitchen...

advertisement

Back