advertisement

Recommended window replacement companies

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
Hi pfm massive

My dad wants new windows in his house. They are brown painted wood but have been nothing but trouble despite being only 20 years old. He is fed up with wood (many refinished and some like for like replacement) and wants UPVC or anything very low maintenance. He is not particularly budget limited and wants good quality windows and also external doors.

Any recommended companies serving his area (he is in between Huntingdon and Kettering) and will not give the full pressure sales job. He is 89, in full control and will not put up with bullocks from some twit in a shiny suit giving all the sale spiel.

Any thoughts very welcome

I'd ask around to see if there are any decent local firms - my experience of the big boys is that you pay a lot for the name.

Thanks Cliff, will have a look around, hard to get unbiased reports or reviews that ring true so still looking for personal recommendations

Aluminium is now the most fashionable replacement window. Because it doesn't need reinforcement the bars can be slimmer and so the windows let in more light.

Go for Everest if you want to pay 4 times the price of a independent window installer.

Pete

go for the best glazing option you can afford.

! fitted Boulton and Paul external joinery, stained. after 25 years of trouble free, the yearly staining was doing my head in, changed them to upvc except for 2 with french doors and sidelights for other reasons

UPVC windows is one of the biggest shark infested pools in home maintenance. As well as that, UPVC is a terrible material for windows. It warps, the sealed units often fail within a few years and lifespan can be much shorter than you think (10-15 years). Wood is a much better material, but it needs to be maintained and you need to use good quality wood, ie not fast grown softwood which will rot while you're watching it.

I have no idea if they'll come out to you but I can highly recommend Harpenden Windows. No hard sell, a decent quote and windows and doors that are great 10 yrs later.

Neighbour next door used them as well

Hi pfm massive

My dad wants new windows in his house. They are brown painted wood but have been nothing but trouble despite being only 20 years old. He is fed up with wood (many refinished and some like for like replacement) and wants UPVC or anything very low maintenance. He is not particularly budget limited and wants good quality windows and also external doors.

Any recommended companies serving his area (he is in between Huntingdon and Kettering) and will not give the full pressure sales job. He is 89, in full control and will not put up with bullocks from some twit in a shiny suit giving all the sale spiel.

Any thoughts very welcome
I would look for a company that uses Rehau profiles, they don't fade, and if the glass is damaged it is possible to easily remove the trims.
Pilkington make good glass sealed units, the ones i purchased, a few years ago had a rubber seal at the edges, (they don't do the frames).
The main profit in plastic windows is in the fitting, if you find a window fitter they will maybe do it for £50 a window including fixings, foam and mastic.

Aluminium is now the most fashionable replacement window. Because it doesn't need reinforcement the bars can be slimmer and so the windows let in more light.
gosh i just had a load of aluminium windows ripped out , they sweated, and were horrible old crittall things . I dont know anyone who fits aluminium but you know far more than me so I will look into it. Had 3 lots of double glazing done in past 6 months all upvc

I would look for a company that uses Rehau profiles, they don't fade, and if the glass is damaged it is possible to easily remove the trims.
Pilkington make good glass sealed units, the ones i purchased, a few years ago had a rubber seal at the edges, (they don't do the frames).
The main profit in plastic windows is in the fitting, if you find a window fitter they will maybe do it for £50 a window including fixings, foam and mastic.
I was told by my upvc guy that there is a shortage of glass coming and prices up by 8 % . He told me sat

UPVC windows is one of the biggest shark infested pools in home maintenance. As well as that, UPVC is a terrible material for windows. It warps, the sealed units often fail within a few years and lifespan can be much shorter than you think (10-15 years). Wood is a much better material, but it needs to be maintained and you need to use good quality wood, ie not fast grown softwood which will rot while you're watching it.
yes I have about 17 glass panels that have gone and need replacement , expensive and then I noticed sat the dangly cords for the 10 roller blinds ...I am having a bit of stress over that as they are not safe for kids !!!! Ah happy days , anyway it's going to cost at least 1100 to replace all this glass but what can you do

yes I have about 17 glass panels that have gone and need replacement , expensive and then I noticed sat the dangly cords for the 10 roller blinds ...I am having a bit of stress over that as they are not safe for kids !!!! Ah happy days , anyway it's going to cost at least 1100 to replace all this glass but what can you do

We replaced a blind that used to have a looped cord and you can't buy them any more, only safe versions.

gosh i just had a load of aluminium windows ripped out , they sweated, and were horrible old crittall things . I dont know anyone who fits aluminium but you know far more than me so I will look into it. Had 3 lots of double glazing done in past 6 months all upvc

Crittall are steel aren't they ? I think they look fantastic.

Avoid the big companies at all cost and definitely shop around. Harpenden windows were mentioned but when they quoted us a couple of years back they were quite expensive although cheaper than Anglia by a fair bit. We use a local two man band who are great on service and price but winding down to retirement and only do a few jobs. Unfortunately They only work locally. Word of mouth is best and the ability to see some of their work in situ. Putting in windows etc is mostly about the finishing given a good quality product.

Harpenden windows were mentioned but when they quoted us a couple of years back they were quite expensive

I have my house double glazed in two goes. First lot at the front (not the door) - cheap, shoddy quality and poor installation (now out of business). Second lot at the back including front and back door - First quote Anglian; expensive, hard sell almost impossible to get out of the house. The second, local, were cheap, but the range was poor, and i just didnt get good vibes (alhtough they were recommended). Third quote - Harpenden, middle of the road price (certainly not at the cheap end), straightforward - measure and quote.

Went with Harpenden, they have been in about 10 years - and the windows look and operate the same as when they were installed......

We had Roseview sash windows fitted a few years ago, good product but you need to find a decent fitter.

When i walked upstairs the next day i could see through the gap between window and frame, they'd been installed with the centre a bit wider than top and bottom.

advertisement

Back