advertisement

Recommended ways to buy Bitcoin?

I'm tempted to dip my toe into Bitcoin but it seems to be a magnet for shady operators. What are some straightforward ways to purchase?

Not really interested in a crypto ETF or that kind of thing.

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice! :D

No offence taken - I'd probably say the same thing if I saw a post like that.

As I said, dip my toe (£50) just to learn how it all works because as is apparent I'm reasonably ignorant.

Online digital wallet. Just don’t throw the HD it’s on away as it’s linked to that disc and can’t be moved with passwords later.

If you want to do it on a phone app you can use crypto.com's one. You will need to provide some ID and wait for your account to be verified. Mine took a few days (this was a month ago) but I did have to chase them once.

Then - if the offer still stands, which it did last time I looked a week or so ago - you'll be given a month of no-cost debit card purchases, up to a limit of £6,000, so it's then just a case of buying your Bitcoin and paying by debit card.

There are other ways but I found this to be the most straightforward.

I mined some bitcoin right back when it started and created a digital wallet thingy on an external drive, I remember it being a well old IDE drive not sata.

Well anyway god knows what happened to that, sigh.

Highest ever bitcoin value and you're going to buy? Wait till it drops, everyone ignores it then steel yourself and stash it away. Remember when it drops it has always risen to previous high, though it might take years. And remember when high, it has always dropped to at around half that level, though it may take years.
Exodus is a good wallet, and as long as you stash away your recovery words, can be recovered even if your hard drive is compromised.
You can buy crypto on coinbase, you have to register with ID.
You will probably experience trouble trying to get your bank to deposit in coinbase Euros or GBP for you to buy crypto. You can get round this by using Revolut, which will.

I mined some bitcoin right back when it started and created a digital wallet thingy on an external drive, I remember it being a well old IDE drive not sata.

Well anyway god knows what happened to that, sigh.

I feel for you mate. If you were there in the very early days the award per block was (in today's terms) humungous. I'd be turning the house upside down to find that hard drive.

Highest ever bitcoin value and you're going to buy? Wait till it drops, everyone ignores it then steel yourself and stash it away. Remember when it drops it has always risen to previous high, though it might take years. And remember when high, it has always dropped to at around half that level, though it may take years.
Rather similar to the strategy of young small investors when they begin buying shares, expecting to become rich.

For those interested this guy's videos are (IMO) worth watching

Yes it hit another all-time high today (around $51,700 / £37,300), but price predictions for this year go up to $600,000 or so, and these are not by basement-dwelling kids but large banks and other institutions. Max Keiser, who has been into it since the very early days reckons $220,000 by the end of October. He correctly predicted $20,000 in December 2020, two years before then.

http://bitcoinity.org/markets/coinbase/GBP if you want to see the price history.

The time to buy is when nobody is talking about it during the months after a major price drop aka Dump. Prepare now and look at it as a long term project - years. To be blunt £50 isn’t what you need to do this properly. Also right now the cost per transaction is at it’s highest ever, trading coins costs you a small % depending on how busy the blockchain is. What I and a lot of others did was inject a lump sum, worked away trading and withdrawing profit until the seed money was back in the UK Bank. Then you’re trading with just your profits, have a strategy and buy/sell/convert to that plan, it’s not a get rich quick method where you buy cheap and sell high cos you got super lucky, but it’s done fine so far.

Basically find a UK Bank willing to link with Coinbase (I use First Direct) or use Revolut. Setup a Coinbase Account (you will need to prove who you are with some form of UK ID for Regulatory and Tax purposes) and transfer some £s. Next go to the Coinbase Pro site and pull your funds in from Coinbase, it’s way cheaper to trade on Pro than the customer centric Coinbase main site. Then buy some Crypto. This is just one way there are umpteen places like Coinbase - Binance is a biggie and other ways to fund them.

If things follow form there will be a big plummet in value soonish then a couple years before it flies up again, each time the low and high go up in what they are in £ terms, the last stablish low was about £5K, this time rather than £10K as I was expecting it might be £20K or £30K, who knows. However with the Finance guys, Amazon, Tesla and a few others like Mastercard making noises it may not follow the old pattern.

Should stress that it's not an investment, it’s a total gamble, but imho so are the rest of the stocks/shares markets at the minute, until COVID is suppressed and the reality of what the USA/EU/UK printing a whole lotta money actually ends up doing to the economy.

If you want more detailed info PM me, happy to help. There is loads of info if you Google and have a look at the various FAQs.

To be blunt £50 isn’t what you need to do this properly.

Not sure what that means - but as I stated I'm just curious to see how it works and have an account ready if I decide to stick a bit more in at some point. Not hoping to retire to a desert island next week :)

Should stress that it's not an investment, it’s a total gamble

Agreed - completely speculative. Pension/savings are all in long term traditional buy-and-hold assets and no plans to change that.

Thanks for the helpful post.

Not sure what that means - but as I stated I'm just curious to see how it works and have an account ready if I decide to stick a bit more in at some point. Not hoping to retire to a desert island next week :)

Agreed - completely speculative. Pension/savings are all in long term traditional buy-and-hold assets.

Thanks for the helpful post.
Meant with it at £37K and fees for changing £ to BTC you won’t get much and there are minimums so you might not get it out without adding. To perform a Crypto transaction, say moving it to a wallet you get a small % skimmed off as a fee but there are minimums before a transaction will fire. It also means if you trade a lot of coins and convert you can end up with stupid little amounts left behind or as bonus type payments you can’t do anything with. I’ve no idea if BTC or ETH will be around in 20 years, I believe that there is a good chance they will be, what I firmly believe is the tech underneath - Blockchain will take over as the way financial transactions are conducted in the near future.

advertisement

Back