advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

We watched Cloud Atlas on Amazon Prime the other night. Beautifully filmed, well acted - but what on earth is it trying to say? It's essentially a group of stories, in which the various actors get to play completely different parts, often with completely transformative makeup. I expected the penny to drop at the end and to see how all of these combined into a whole. To me, they never did. I guess this is why it may be found in both Best Film of the Year and Worst Film of the Year lists! Deeply profound or pretentious nonsense? I'll stick with entertaining, if puzzling.

I bought the new Bond movie on the Apple store for £13 well worth it but it's not the best Bond movie I've ever seen it was like three of four 007 movies all stitched together and it was too long with too much shooting.

I still enjoyed it though.

I watched 'Desire' on Prime, an Argentinean film about two sisters meeting again at one of the sister's wedding, totally mental movie but worth sticking with it but don't watch with the kids:D

Also just watched a Greek film on prime about a lesbian pickpocket in Athens, pretty good too, some great characters especially the girl's father and the German tourist.

The Light Touch

We watched Don't look up on Netflix last night. With a star-studded cast (Leonardo Di Caprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett), it pokes fun at all manner of American stereotypes and attitudes. I especially enjoyed the anti-science aspect that used the slogan "Don't look up", so that the comet coming to obliterate the Earth could be ignored, a bit the way the Covid pandemic is being ignored.
Couldn’t agree more, IMO it wasn’t perfect as the first half could have been shorter, but some brilliant performances, parodies and fun poking. Loved the death gag at the end, set up half way through the movie… genuinely lol moment.

Watched "Official Secrets" W/Kira Knightley on Netflix last night, I thought it was very good and being from the US I don't remember reading about this specific event, very enlightening.

My TV show of the year is 'Hacks'. It's very funny, surprisingly moving at times and it's great to see a high profile show based around great parts for two women. Jean Smart is just fantastic and my new favourite actor.

Although I am not sure what channel as I get it via Channel Crime.

Jean Smart is also in Mare of Eastown, which is also very good and features an astonishing performance from Kate Winslet.

We watched 'don't look up', what it was trying to achieve was commendable, but it went on way too long, like an hour too long, and if it did not have the stellar cast would have been a total write off. 5/10, it was average, nothing more.

I watched Chaplin on Sky Arts earlier, good film rather glossed over his, err, peccadilloes. A rather dated production to modern eyes & don’t think it would be made today.

We watched 'don't look up', what it was trying to achieve was commendable, but it went on way too long, like an hour too long, and if it did not have the stellar cast would have been a total write off. 5/10, it was average, nothing more.
I enjoyed it.

I watched Don't Look Up. Meryl was on form, the BASH guy was disconcertingly odd but the whole was definitely less than the sum of the parts. Amusing in places, but lacking a bit of punch. I thought the scene around the family dinner table at the climactic stage (trying not to spoil it for anyone still wanting to watch) was nicely underplayed though.

Huge fan of Lawrence of Arabia, watched the film so many times

So awe inspiring when he goes back into the desert to rescue the chap who fell off the camel , and said "nothing is written" of course the local belief was that it was fate that he would die .

Some years ago I read 7 pillers of wisdom that he wrote and it's still compelling reading
Lean was a magnificent director with real vision. I find all of his films enthralling, even Ryan’s Daughter which had a number of flaws.

I watched Don't Look Up. Meryl was on form, the BASH guy was disconcertingly odd but the whole was definitely less than the sum of the parts. Amusing in places, but lacking a bit of punch. I thought the scene around the family dinner table at the climactic stage (trying not to spoil it for anyone still wanting to watch) was nicely underplayed though.
The BASH guy was Mark Rylance, he’s a very fine actor.

I thought it was great and didn't go on too long at all. 10/10.

Watched A Very British Scandal on BBC - all three episodes back to back. Very good. Foy is always very watchable.
Nasty, immoral Upper Class folk being thoroughly beastly to each other. I thought it was superb, the sort of drama the Beeb excels at. Both Claire Foy and Paul Bettany were excellent. I remember this scandal breaking in the press, the more sordid details of which were a bit foggy, but as a teenager I had a pretty good idea what they were.

Nasty, immoral Upper Class folk being thoroughly beastly to each other. I thought it was superb, the sort of drama the Beeb excels at. Both Claire Foy and Paul Bettany were excellent. I remember this scandal breaking in the press, the more sordid details of which were a bit foggy, but as a teenager I had a pretty good idea what they were.
Recorded it with a view to binge watching over one night - looking forward to it.:)

Anyone here watch The Cockfields?

Weirdly addictive for a series that has me cringing so often.

Edit: it’s on Gold.

advertisement

Back