advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

rewatch of American Psycho (2000) today - currently available for nowt on All 4.

Holy Moly, I had forgotten how rough this film is!
Christian Bale is magnificent in the lead - bits of Hi-Fi and Phil Collins flying about, as is the copious amounts of blood. Vile and captivating at the same time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144084/
On of the few books I stopped reading half way through as it literally made me feel sick. The film is (thankfully) massively watered down although the distasteful monologue about how great Phil Collins is remains... that alone is enough to put me off without the torture of various women throughout the rest of the 'story'. :D

Mrs. Davis on Peacock US is weird AF. Seemingly benevolent AI dictator versus badass Nun. Silly, but fun. Will definitely keep watching.

A very strange show and at a bit of blasphemy thrown in. The eps with the great sword in the stone was fun

Enjoying Diplomat on Netflix, a bit West Wingy with slick fast talking politicos at the centre of international intrigue, but entertaining all the same

Also enjoying Ted Lasso. Have avoided it till now because it had a US slapstick look about it, but it has a very British sense of humour, without laughter backing track, prodding at themes of motivation and conflicting egos, and is actually very good.

Also enjoying Ted Lasso. Have avoided it till now because it had a US slapstick look about it, but it has a very British sense of humour, without laughter backing track, prodding at themes of motivation and conflicting egos, and is actually very good.
A series about an American football coach? It really wasn't going to be my thing, but having read so many favourable reviews I started watching, and now I think it's brilliant. The last episode I watched from Series 3, where the team went to Amsterdam, was absolutely superb. Great characters, stonking script.

A series about an American football coach? It really wasn't going to be my thing, but having read so many favourable reviews I started watching, and now I think it's brilliant. The last episode I watched from Series 3, where the team went to Amsterdam, was absolutely superb. Great characters, stonking script.
Totally agree, the American Football coach was imo bad marketing, it’s actually about an English football team. Only just started S1, but already an addict.

Totally agree, the American Football coach was imo bad marketing, it’s actually about an English football team. Only just started S1, but already an addict.

It's because the character originally comes from a US advertising campaign the TV channel NBC ran to promote it's coverage of the Premiership football in the US. You can still see the original NBC promo from about 10 years ago here:

It's because the character originally comes from a US advertising campaign the TV channel NBC ran to promote it's coverage of the Premiership football in the US. You can still see the original NBC promo from about 10 years ago here:

Many thanks…I did not know that!

Last edited:
Just finished the first series of Ted Lasso, first half was ok but really got into its stride in the latter episodes (Hannah Waddingham helped of course) Looking forward to series two.

Last edited:
Enjoying Diplomat on Netflix, a bit West Wingy with slick fast talking politicos at the centre of international intrigue, but entertaining all the same

I believe it is made by the same people that made West Wing. I gave upon it since I had no love for any of the characters, the f-ing and blinding every two sentences, which never happened on the West Wing. Do ambassadors and top politicians continually swear or is this just for tv?

Well, it’s on Sky Atlantic so a little off brief but the latest Perry Mason series has been brilliant.

I love the way they use music of the time to add substance to certain scenes. The last few minutes were soundtracked by Louis Armstrong doing ‘Sunny side of the street’, a reply fantastic version, total genius. The incidental music is down by Terence Blanchard.

Also, final season of Marvellous Mrs Maisel is quite probably the best final season in the history of television. It’s completely pitch perfect, all loose ends are tied & characters are fully fleshed out.

Last night I played “Shoot ‘Em Up” (2007) - Clive Owen on DvD to a mate who had never heard of it !
It also has Monica Bellucci taking an interesting role.
Paul Giamatti plays the vile Baddie, with a thick Southern drawl. Gross.

Fast, violent and twisty with a hint of Sin City (2005)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465602/

Watched ‘Nobody’ which is currently streaming on Netflix. Stars Bob Odenkirk from ‘Better Call Saul’ as a bored accountant whose hidden past resurfaces after burglars target his family home…

Definitely not a film to be taken seriously in a similar vein to ‘Shoot Em Up’ and definitely has ridiculous levels of stylised violence. Excellent film.

Although not on Netflix or Prime, Crime by Irvine Welsh is being shown by ITV X following its original release on Britbox back in 2021.

I have enjoyed Trainspotting, The Acid House and Filth in print, so thought I’d give it a go.

What a mistake that was, monumentally so.
It is the most incomprehensible police procedural ever, can’t think of anything remotely as badly written, poorly acted, featuring really clunky dialogue throughout and generally loathsome characters.

Avoid like the proverbial.

Watched ‘Nobody’ which is currently streaming on Netflix. Stars Bob Odenkirk from ‘Better Call Saul’ as a bored accountant whose hidden past resurfaces after burglars target his family home…

Definitely not a film to be taken seriously in a similar vein to ‘Shoot Em Up’ and definitely has ridiculous levels of stylised violence. Excellent film.
Totally agree, the scene in the old folks home with Christopher Lloyd is one if the funniest movie scenes ever… as long as you have a dark sense of humour that is.

RRR on Netflix. Crazy but entertaining (if a tad long). British Empire gets walloped by empowered locals (and some tigers).

Although not on Netflix or Prime, Crime by Irvine Welsh is being shown by ITV X following its original release on Britbox back in 2021.

I have enjoyed Trainspotting, The Acid House and Filth in print, so thought I’d give it a go.

What a mistake that was, monumentally so.
It is the most incomprehensible police procedural ever, can’t think of anything remotely as badly written, poorly acted, featuring really clunky dialogue throughout and generally loathsome characters.

Avoid like the proverbial.
A cautious recommendation then.

advertisement

Back