advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

Watched the first two episodes of The Last of Us. Not sure what to think yet, but so far I’ve decided it’s not your average romcom.

Episode 3... oh man... absolutely wrecked me (in a good way).

The Last of Us. I'm irritated with the way TV writers don't care that their character should have died when he walked out into a lit area and just kind of stood there, covered by lots of enemies in the shadows with guns. That was in episode 3.

In 4 I find I can't imagine why, in times like these, our heros would not totally bypass, as they journey, all large cities that are not in any way their destination.

Will watch episode 5 because episode 3 mainly shows that these writers are capable of rather surprising things. And I'm bonded with the main characters.

The Last of Us. I'm irritated with the way TV writers don't care that their character should have died when he walked out into a lit area and just kind of stood there, covered by lots of enemies in the shadows with guns. That was in episode 3.

In 4 I find I can't imagine why, in times like these, our heros would not totally bypass, as they journey, all large cities that are not in any way their destination.

Will watch episode 5 because episode 3 mainly shows that these writers are capable of rather surprising things. And I'm bonded with the main characters.
It’s not a documentary;)

Man and child get into car. Journey goes without incident. They arrive at their destination. The end.

(IIRC they had no choice but to enter the city as their route was blocked)

Bonding is good as the whole thing, despite all the action and special effects stuff, is mostly a two hander about Joel and Ellie as father and daughter and lives and dies on them and their performances. Although the decision to expand from just that with the Bill & Frank and Henry & Sam (Ep. 5) story lines was what convinced me as someone who is not normally a fan of horror or action films. And I suspect more of this is coming when we get to more of Joel's back story.

I think it's fantastic. Gotta respect TV that can regularly make a hardened tough guy like me into a pool of blubbering jelly :)

PS They were avoiding cities but had to go through Kansas because the highways were blocked.

Also the show looks amazing. I know it's just $$$ but on our new fancy 60", HDR OLED TV it's frequently just jaw dropping. The combination of computer graphics and the extended colour range from all the fungi gives them so much scope and although it's full of all those big post-apocalyptic cities and the like it's mostly the indoor sets and photography that really impresses me.

I'm enjoying The Last of Us so far too. I was surprised to learn that the actress playing 'Ellie' - Bella Ramsey - is British and almost twenty. I've never seen her before but she's very good indeed.

Mick

PS They were avoiding cities but had to go through Kansas because the highways were blocked.

They had maps, and the Interstate highways are not the only ones there are. Their biggest problems would have been the big rivers, with bad guys likely holding the bridges. Can make more of a case for St. Louis being unavoidable. Crossing the Mississippi would have been interesting. Can see them having to build a raft, ferrying over their supplies, truck battery, etc, and looking for new vehicle. Best done south of the Mississippi/Missouri confluence. But that is not how the story went....

So, they're trying to get to Wyoming. Where in Wyoming? There's some interesting geography in Wyoming....

They had maps, and the Interstate highways are not the only ones there are. Their biggest problems would have been the big rivers, with bad guys likely holding the bridges. Can make more of a case for St. Louis being unavoidable. Crossing the Mississippi would have been interesting. Can see them having to build a raft, ferrying over their supplies, truck battery, etc, and looking for new vehicle. Best done south of the Mississippi/Missouri confluence. But that is not how the story went....

So, they're trying to get to Wyoming. Where in Wyoming? There's some interesting geography in Wyoming....

In a TV show about a mind controlling fungus causing a zombie apocalypse, not sure the inaccuracy of how they navigated the midwest would be the thing that stretched my credulity :)

In a TV show about a mind controlling fungus causing a zombie apocalypse, not sure the inaccuracy of how they navigated the midwest would be the thing that stretched my credulity :)
Not me, I think Sci Fi should make sense. I like that at the beginning, there were some attempts at making the zombies make sense. Usually they just show up.

This reminds me of my wife turning to me during Game of thrones & saying “it’s getting a bit far fetched now” when the dragon appeared.

We watched ‘Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa!’ again recently via Amazon prime.

Starring the talented Michael Sheen, it is hardly a laugh-fest. Deeply sad, and illustrating how much attitudes have changed towards homosexuality in such a short time. It would have been interesting to see how Kenneth Williams would have regarded society today.

I had forgotten about his friendship with Joe Orton.
Really must get around to watching ‘Prick Up Your Ears’ 1987 - Gary Oldman again.
Such a powerful film, and superb acting from Oldman.

On ‘Talking Pictures’ at 21:00 hrs. tomorrow, 20th February is the highly amusing, award winning ‘A Private Function.’
Maggie Smith, Michael Palin and a host of familiar faces.

If you haven’t seen this before? How! It is brilliant. Rare that a film is this funny, and soo British at the same time.

I'm suprisingly enjoying Tulsa King on Paramount+. Wouldn't have watched it normally, I don't like Stallone and he looks ridiculous now, but remove all sense of reality and it's quite enjoyable and laugh out loud funny at times. The Wire it's not but entertaining if you don't want to think too much.

Cheers BB

I'm really enjoying Black Butterflies (Papillons Noir) on Netflix.

The story begins when a dying old man contacts a struggling writer to record his memoirs. All very innocent, but it quickly takes a dark turn.

The less you know going in, the better but, suffice to say, the true nature of the story only reveals itself halfway through the second episode.

Very quirky, well written, and artfully constructed. I'm on episode four and can't wait to see how it ends.

Really enjoying The Last of Us also; we've binge-watched 1-4, will watch 5 & 6 over the weekend ready for Monday's release of Ep.7

advertisement

Back