advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

The other show I have been enjoying a lot recently is Poker Face. It's the very definition of a mainstream, middle brow "murder of the week" type show but it's well made, written and acted, frequently looks gorgeous. Consistently enjoyable and good fun and good for building yourself up from the emotional wreckage of the last episode of The Last of Us. Oddly it reminds me a bit of Columbo.

Originally from Peacock which is like NBC iPlayer which I think means it will probably be on Sky in the UK. Or Channel Crime *taps nose*.

^^^^^
"Video is unavailable", maybe a region thing but I don't know what you're recommending o_O:D

The other show I have been enjoying a lot recently is Poker Face. It's the very definition of a mainstream, middle brow "murder of the week" type show but it's well made, written and acted, frequently looks gorgeous. Consistently enjoyable and good fun and good for building yourself up from the emotional wreckage of the last episode of The Last of Us. Oddly it reminds me a bit of Columbo.

Originally from Peacock which is like NBC iPlayer which I think means it will probably be on Sky in the UK. Or Channel Crime *taps nose*.

Looking forward to starting Poker Face. Same writers as Knives Out and Glass Onion, both of which were fun.

En Place (Represent) - Netflix

This is very, very, funny.

Stephane Blé is a youth worker in a Parisian sink estate who goes viral after giving a presidential candidate a round of ****s.

Encourage to stand for election himself, we follow this underdog and his raggle-taggle campaign team on the election trail.

There is a joke in episode 4, which despite being telegraphed a mile in advance, when it dropped, I laughed so hard I started to choke.

It does drop off the boil in episodes 5 and 6, but nevertheless, very highly recommended from me.

(Watch in French with subtitles because I think the guy's vocal delivery is part of it)

Watched Aftersun last night with the better half. A lovely, sad and evocative movie, made for just 300k apparently.
We were both quite choked at the end. Frankie Corio is going to be a star.

Looking forward to starting Poker Face. Same writers as Knives Out and Glass Onion, both of which were fun.

I assume it's been a big US hit given it got a Super Bowl ad that was mostly just Natasha Lyonne in character.

I assume it's been a big US hit given it got a Super Bowl ad that was mostly just Natasha Lyonne in character.

Missed that ad! Have only watched the first episode so far. It was very entertaining, and set the bar pretty high for the rest of the series.

Missed that ad! Have only watched the first episode so far. It was very entertaining, and set the bar pretty high for the rest of the series.

It's been very good. The episodic format where she is the only repeating major character means you get lots of one off performances by all those unsung veterans of the tv/repertory theatre acting world. Sort of like how the best bit in the otherwise ok-ish Good Wife / Good Fight series was all the various judges played by people you'd never heard of.

There is a cracking turn by a couple of older women playing former 70s radicals now in a retirement home and a splendid one set in the world of theatre actors where everyone gets to ham it up deliciously.

It's been very good. The episodic format where she is the only repeating major character means you get lots of one off performances by all those unsung veterans of the tv/repertory theatre acting world. Sort of like how the best bit in the otherwise ok-ish Good Wife / Good Fight series was all the various judges played by people you'd never heard of.

There is a cracking turn by a couple of older women playing former 70s radicals now in a retirement home and a splendid one set in the world of theatre actors where everyone gets to ham it up deliciously.

Episode 2 was excellent. Good yarn, fun characters. Really enjoying it!

"Shrinking" on Apple TV+ is the best thing we've come across in months. Terrific performances, laugh-out-loud funny, and Harrison Ford consistently out-acts everyone in the room. Not sure how widely available it is, though, nor how well the LA personalities will translate.

PS - We are also watching "Servant" (also on Apple TV+). Highly acclaimed, and I hate it with a particularly hatey sort of hate.

The Swimmers on Netflix..true story about a couple of girls who escaped from Syria during the war and their journey to Germany as refugees. Both were training to join the Syrian Olympic team for 2012.... Excellent film....heartily recommend it.

advertisement

Back