advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

Ricky Gervais Supernature on Netflix. You’re like it if you like him, otherwise you probably won’t!

Puzzled by the price increases, ours has been £5.99 for as long as I can remember.
Ours went from £6 to £7, but only very recently, early May.

We're on episode 3 or 4 of Stranger things. This latest one has a bit of Nightmare on elm street vibe to it. My son absolutely loves it, but I'm starting to get a touch bored of it now (old age, I think). Perhaps it'll liven up?

^ Made it through Part 1 of Season 4. Mostly very good - though the kids have lost a bit of their charm. Last episode of Part 1 certainly accelerates the storyline.

Watched the first two episodes of the The Boys S3. Hilarious and horrifying all in one. The psychotic malevolence behind the fake smiles of Homelander is portrayed wonderfully.

Netflix - Love, Death and Robots series 3 is up.
All episodes great but two absolutely spectacular ones.
Jibaro is one of the most visually stunning things I’ve ever seen. Amazing.
Night of the Mini Dead is hilarious.
Agreed, absolutely superb! And look out for a cartoon Chris Packham in “Mason's Rats”.

Just finished watching "The Lost City of Z" on prime. Despite the mixed reviews I thought it was very good.

My wife and I watched "The Eyes of Tammy Faye", also on prime and really enjoyed that (we're not the slightest bit religious, but it is an excellent movie).

Floor is Lava on Netflix. A brilliant portrayal of the human desire to be physically challenged, the show presents scenes of riotous activity and climaxes with a treacherous ascent to the top of a volcano. Parts of this universal experience may have been told before, but never with such freshness, intensity and power. Highly recommended.*

* But only when you need a break from actual thinking, and feel like watching incredibly silly, stupid over-the-top cringe worthy slapstick.

Floor is Lava on Netflix. A brilliant portrayal of the human desire to be physically challenged, the show presents scenes of riotous activity and climaxes with a treacherous ascent to the top of a volcano.

Played that game quite a lot as a kid around the house on rainy days, broke loads of stuff clambering around on sideboards, across tables and more often than not ended up getting a big sweary earful from my mum.

Watched the finale of The Staircase this evening (HBO Max via NOW TV).
We binge-watched the first 7 episodes last week and had both studiously avoided googling anything about the whole Michael Peterson saga (of which we knew nothing).

Been very impressed with Colin Firth's contribution but pretty much top notch acting all round really. The time jumps got a bit tiring quite quickly but otherwise really well put together and retold.

Now to continue with our catch-up of Netflix Stranger Things 4 (although nothing beats the very first series IMV)

So far, too many pointless characters that should have been weeded out a couple of series back (Mike, Will and his brother to start with) ... but fortunately still a bunch of live wires to keep it going (Steve, Robin, Dustin and Murray particularly). Also the horror cliches are getting just a bit too cheesy to work well - even in such an obvious pastiche piece.

We'll see....

I bought Tove on iTunes the other night, only £2.99 but it's now on BBC iPlayer, not watched it yet it's an autobiographical film, looks interesting, she was the author of the Moo-min children's books.

advertisement

Back