advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

Enjoying "This Is Us" on Prime. Forty minute episodes make them easy to binge or fit in around films and stuff which is handy too.

Funny, clever and interesting, the american tendency to schmaltz is mostly kept in check with the odd lapse.

Mate we are up to season three and the schmaltz is like intense, its circa 80% schmaltz.

@garyi It was a bit of a cut and shut, as the show deviated somewhat from the books by the end of series 5 and series 6. The dogs and people coming back from the dead are to set it up for a possible next series, where it is all explained as the Laconian empire arises.

I enjoyed the series though, and loved the books, gives more background and detail than the series could.

Season 6 felt constrained and rushed compared to previous seasons (for obvs reasons). Still, it was miles better than any other sci-fi series currently on TV (I’m looking at you Discovery).

I enjoyed the last episode. The assault on the rail gun was immense!

Nice explainer here from Alt Shift X:

Mate we are up to season three and the schmaltz is like intense, its circa 80% schmaltz.

Yep now up to the end of season 2 and I can no longer breathe for it. Shame, they did pretty well for a while in the first series. Maybe Speilberg got involved.

It's layered thick with it, almost cloying. I am going to see how season 4 pans out, but lets face it most things jump the shark at se3.

Just watched Clara on Prime which managed to make data collection and research seem sexy! I can imagine planet hunting must be an exciting and incredibly rewarding job…

It was not what I expected at all but I have to say I enjoyed it and found it quite moving at times

Last edited:
The Tender Bar - Amazon Prime. We really enjoyed this. A subtle but very good look at domestic life thru the eyes of a writer. A film to ‘watch’.

We're watching Almodovar's movies on MUBI, just finished Talk To Her (amazing) and nearly finished All About My Mother which is excellent.

Emily in Paris - lightweight but quite amusing, pokes fun at French, American and occasionally British culture. Quite funny too when some of the fake French accents disappear for a few words! Nice cameo from a Triumph Spitfire, forgot how good looking that car was.

We watched "The Father" on Prime last night. A disturbing and, for those of us with direct experience of dementia in an elderly parent, a scarily accurate portrayal by Anthony Hopkins. No wonder he won an Oscar for his performance!

After Life has been superb.

Tonight I’m settling down with the final series of Ozark on Netflix.

If I finish it in time over the weekend I will then watch Munich - The Edge of War on Netflix.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back