advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Midsommar on Amazon Prime. Thought it was excellent. Very disturbing at times but still highly recommend. A stunning score too.

I'm a fan of comic book adaptations, so I watched (on Netflix)

Even though it is pretty clichéd (the US high-school, the nerd, the jock, the bad girl etc.) and the ending is a direct rip off from a very famous film based on a Stephen King novel, I still really liked the performances and want to se ehow it works out.

Anyone jumped for Disney yet?

Stephen

Apollo 11, now on Netfix. Wifey off away on girly weekend so thats my Friday viewing sorted.

Works very well, and we liked the dry no narration presentation. We saw stuff we had not seen and learned things we didn't know.

Mercury 13 (Netflix documentary) works well alongside Apollo 11 and makes even better viewing if you have seen Hidden Figures which we saw at the cinema.

We enjoyed the recent moon fest. so much we watched Apollo 13 again (Ron Howard) -

I have avoided contributing to the long-running Netflix/Amazon film recommendations thread because I forget what I have seen very quickly (brain damage) and I forget this thread exists.

We did see Con Air (1997) again recently. A surprisingly satisfying story with some well-cast performances, e.g. Steve Buscemi. Nic Cage has spectacular hair (to compensate for his hair loss I presume) and there are plenty of explosions to rumble the sub.

I do have a grudge against actors (artists and performers) who ride in on their parents / relatives shirt-tails, that is a lot of folk... Nic Cage does his one character acting as per usual.

(Nic Cage , nephew of Francis Ford-Coppola)

Just watched Midsommar on Amazon Prime. Thought it was excellent. Very disturbing at times but still highly recommend. A stunning score too.

I loved Midsommar - my partner not so much :/

Maybe it's from living in busy/noisy London, but I'm realising more and more how much the location(s) and soundtrack contribute to my feeling of anything I watch. Midsommar was a bit like Ragnarok in that respect.

I have avoided contributing to the long-running Netflix/Amazon film recommendations thread because I forget what I have seen very quickly (brain damage) and I forget this thread exists.

We did see Con Air (1997) again recently. A surprisingly satisfying story with some well-cast performances, e.g. Steve Buscemi. Nic Cage has spectacular hair (to compensate for his hair loss I presume) and there are plenty of explosions to rumble the sub.

I do have a grudge against actors (artists and performers) who ride in on their parents / relatives shirt-tails, that is a lot of folk... Nic Cage does his one character acting as per usual.

(Nic Cage , nephew of Francis Ford-Coppola)
Con Air's one of my guilty pleasures. Anyway, a bit unfair on Nicholas Cage. He did a good acting job in Leaving Las Vegas and Raising Arizona, and is now looking at rather strange sci-fi roles. I warmed to him when I learned he's got a home in a small Somerset village, and saw the New Year in buying drinks for the locals in the working-men's club.

Con Air's one of my guilty pleasures. Anyway, a bit unfair on Nicholas Cage. He did a good acting job in Leaving Las Vegas and Raising Arizona, and is now looking at rather strange sci-fi roles. I warmed to him when I learned he's got a home in a small Somerset village, and saw the New Year in buying drinks for the locals in the working-men's club.

I like him in some films, (Con Air, Face Off) and agree he has picked some recent sci-fi / horror b-movies of late. I have seen a few of them (something about he is a demon on a motorcycle?) and he is reliably Nic Cage.

... and wanted to ‘ride’ so much he changed his name.

I’m generally a fan. He’s idiosyncratic.

Stephen

Wild At Heart was the first film I ever saw him in. Leaving Las Vegas was the last one I saw him in that i thought was good. He was really cool until he went for the mainstream stuff, possibly about the time of Con Air?

Works very well, and we liked the dry no narration presentation. We saw stuff we had not seen and learned things we didn't know.

Mercury 13 (Netflix documentary) works well alongside Apollo 11 and makes even better viewing if you have seen Hidden Figures which we saw at the cinema.

We enjoyed the recent moon fest. so much we watched Apollo 13 again (Ron Howard) -

I've read loads about Apollo missions but never see uninterrupted footage of the actual landing with real time altitude versus fuel remaining readings

They were still 30,000 feet above the surface with only 2 mins of fuel left!

I'd always assumed Armstrong was hunting for a spot to land for a few minutes whilst hovering just a few hundred feet above the moon surface.

Andy, have you heard this? It’s also brilliant.

The episode with uninterrupted coms is nail-biting. All the better for being audio only as mission control would have heard it.

Stephen

Andy, have you heard this? It’s also brilliant.

The episode with uninterrupted coms is nail-biting. All the better for being audio only as mission control would have heard it.

Stephen

Yes, listened to all those episodes in headphones when it first came out.

It's just that the live video plus digital readout overlays really brought it home how high above the moon they were. They lost about 15,000 feet a minute so it was more of a free fall than a 'landing'.

Most of the video was so crisp so some serious digital restoration/enhancement work going on there. Strangely, I found the low rent B&W security camera multi-angle stuff the most powerful... i.e. them walking along the gantry into the capsule pre launch.

Other thing that struck me was how old Buzz and Armstrong looked when getting suited up.

Also, in the rush to land did Armstrong not think about having the steps on the sunny side of the capsule ...You can't see a bloody thing on camera mostly....I'll let him off there as he had a bit on his plate what with the 1202 alarm and no fuel left :)

The heart rates were interesting too. From memory Armstrong’s was 150 during the landing, I can’t think why <grin>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back