advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started watching the Showtime adaptation of James McBride's novel 'The Good Lord Bird' on NowTV starring Ethan Hawke as the miltant preachger abolitionist John Brown. Splendid - both entertaining and very grown up television.

On the other hand, I can imagine staunch royalists loving it too (partly, I suspect, because it hardly ever criticises Madge directly).

But does it have to? To me, it portrays a woman with a profound sense of duty, but who is totally out of touch with the world outside her own narrow, English upper-class one. This is the beauty of the thing, there are no blacker-than-black villains and no whiter-than-white hero(in)es, just complicated and often emotionally damaged human beings trying to juggle individual feelings with external pressures. As you say, its ambiguity is rather well done. Anne's summation of the Wales's marriage in Episode 9 is brilliant.

Olivia Coleman is amazing as Madge, she makes every other actor look like an amateur. The scene with the intruder was a stunning piece of work; the line where she asked if Kings Cross was nice.

Fagin was an interesting character. Not quite as insane as you would have thought. Incredible event, getting in twice.

I remain fascinated by its ambiguity. I'm a republican (not that it keeps me awake at night) and there's just enough overt and implied critique to keep me watching without feeling like a gullible idiot. On the other hand, I can imagine staunch royalists loving it too (partly, I suspect, because it hardly ever criticises Madge directly). The narrative structure and aesthetics (lavish attention to detail, fetishisation of the symbols of monarchy) are both conventional so, in that sense, it's deeply conservative. I'm still enjoying it though (episode 4 next)!

I’ve been saying since the first series that the programme provides ammunition to royalists and republicans alike.

I reached the end of season 1 of Belgian noir series, The Break, on Netflix last night.

It's excellent stuff, up there with the best foreign language noir. There are strong True Detective influences, along with hints of Twin Peaks in some of the scenes in the provincial police station, but in the end it has its own style. The acting and dialogue is very good throughout, with moments of high emotional intensity.

Highly recommended. And the good news is that season 2 is also available.

Olivia Coleman is amazing as Madge, she makes every other actor look like an amateur. The scene with the intruder was a stunning piece of work; the line where she asked if Kings Cross was nice.

Worth seeing in 'Mo's Story' from Jimmy McGovern's 2010 series "The Accused". She's great.

Watched 12 Strong this morning(Amazon Prime via iPad). If you like this kind of film, then it’s pretty good.

Last night I watched Sputnik, Russian with English subtitles.
It's a sci-fi with a little twist on the alien form and the main characters.
Enjoyable.

The trial of the Chicago Seven on Netflix excellent film with a great cast.
We watched this last night, wasn’t expecting too much but you’re right an excellent film, good acting and surpringly amusing in parts despite the subject, thought Sacha Baron was brill.

Capernaum is an Oscar nominated gut wrenching Lebanese film on limited free time with Amazon Prime and features some incredible acting by novice youngsters. One of the best films I've ever seen, and is ostensibly about a young Beirut street boy who sues his poverty-stricken parents for bringing into this world, but much more than that.

Wanted something light hearted to watch after supper last night. Fired up Netflix and there it was - The Blues Brothers. Not watched it for ages, it’s 40 years old now FFS! Just brilliant.
Yeah it’s a classic, Carrie Fishers bit outside her hair salon - Curl up and Dye - always cracks me up

I reached the end of season 1 of Belgian noir series, The Break, on Netflix last night.

It's excellent stuff, up there with the best foreign language noir. There are strong True Detective influences, along with hints of Twin Peaks in some of the scenes in the provincial police station, but in the end it has its own style. The acting and dialogue is very good throughout, with moments of high emotional intensity.

Highly recommended. And the good news is that season 2 is also available.

Just watching the first episode, looks promising.

Is it just me that has to turn off the dubbed English language and turn on native French and subtitles?

It really disturbs me when I watch overdubbed foreign language programs, it's not just the lip sync issue it's the loss of emotive content,
I'd rather watch the subtitles and pick up what limited dialogue I can understand.

Am I wierd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back