advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rover, gritty Ozzie crime road movie with Guy Pierce.

Way too much mediocre garbage new commissions on Netflix. Fed up with it tbh.Too many series rehash and recycle previous success- Locke & key is Stranger things meets 'Hill house....and a dash of Goosebumps....
I can't watch The Stranger it follows the 'as if' pattern of multiple plot threads ( the Fall season 2 turned it into an arse form)with each eventually jumping the shark' and making you shout at the telly but YMMV.

Hmmm... it does look good. Duly queued (but only just started Ragnarok, so it'll be a few weeks before I get there...).

A few weeks - what was I thinking : Ragnarok has only 6 episodes (but hopefully there will be a Season 2) !?

Now for The Stranger....

Watched Paddy Considine's "Journeyman" at the weekend. Superb acting and had me blubbing like a baby which is most unusual I assure you

Started The Stranger. Only one episode in but intrigued to see more, although I have to say I felt the discussion in the garden about the pregnancy was one of the most unconvincing scenes I’ve seen in a while, although I can’t put my finger on the reason...

I just watched To End All Wars on Prime and I've got to say, it's a pretty good film, even though it's a wee bit dated now as it was made in 2001 and it shows. In a nutshell, the film tells the 'true' story of the struggle of a group of POWs who worked on the infamous Burmese railway during the Second World War. Specifically, it's told by Capt. Ernest Gordon of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

I was sort of expecting to bail out after 10 minutes or so as I wasn't really in the mood for a long film - the film lasts just under two hours - but I'm glad I stuck with it as it was quite easy to stick with it till the end, as it were. I wouldn't say the acting is first class, the film stars Robert Carlyle and Kiefer Sutherland as the Yanker (a portmanteau on Yank and... I'm sure you can guess the rest), but the human story is there to be seen regardless. Recommended.

I watched The Master yesterday, have had it taped for months, fantastic film, the acting is superb as is the cinematography, filmed on 70mm film and looks amazing especially the sailing scenes.

No idea if it's on Netflix or Prime but if it is watch it, it's brilliant.

The Great Hack documentary on Netflix is for the most part excellent. It covers Cambridge Analytica, its CEO Alexander Nix and the reporting of Carole Cadwalladr into CA and the Facebook scandal. There are revelatory interviews with CA whistleblowers like Brittany Kaiser and Christopher Wylie.

The doc illustrates the role CA and Facebook played in data harvesting and information warfare during the election of Trump and Brexit. It also puts the spotlight on Farage, UKIP and Leave EU. Dominic Cummings isn't properly skewered though.

Kaiser has a major part in the doc along with David Carroll. He is the New York media professor, who demanded to know what data CA held on him and took them to court in England.

Carole Cadwalladr says it is now impossible to have a democratic election or referendum. A massive con is being perpetrated by data harvesters, politicians and billionaires, together with the tech giants. This has resulted in conflict and far-right governments getting into power around the world.

The Great Hack is directed by Jehane Noujaim and Karim Amer, who did the Oscar-nominated Great Square about the Arab spring. It's interesting that The Great Hack wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, but then the ceremony takes place in Trumpland.

Here are Cadwalladr's thoughts on the film: https://www.theguardian.com

Jack

jack.

i watched this the other night and was totally underwhelmed. rather than expose some great hack, what they seemed to reveal (or rather discover very late) about was our vapid culture and the proliferation of online "direct" marketing. the cultural, social and economic analysis is so superficial that the creators never grapple with what i think are the really difficult questions here.

it's not about setting up impossible/un-enforcable rules for facebook and google, it's about radical de-centralization of these powers. do we really need facebook to share pictures and banal anecdotes with one another? is there no other way to organize searching of the web? does online advertizing cause more harm than good?

Thought Uncut Gems was very good. Adam Sandler as the fast-talking gem trader in a constant financial balancing act with some nasty people is outstanding. Apparently he thought he was as well.

Thought Uncut Gems was very good. Adam Sandler as the fast-talking gem trader in a constant financial balancing act with some nasty people is outstanding. Apparently he thought he was as well.
Following Mark Kermode's positive review, I did give this a go the other night. Adam Sandler is very good in the part but I found the relentless swearing and rapid, agressive dialogue a bit wearing. I'll eventually watch it to the end but in small chunks!

I watched The Master yesterday, have had it taped for months, fantastic film, the acting is superb as is the cinematography, filmed on 70mm film and looks amazing especially the sailing scenes.

No idea if it's on Netflix or Prime but if it is watch it, it's brilliant.
On my list, thanks, tt (looks like loosely based on L Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology).

Blimey. That’s enough of The Stranger for me. Halfway through episode two and found myself saying “oh ffs!” just a bit too often.

Finished BoJack Horseman now, sadly, but am enjoying Ragnarok so far, albeit that I’ve only watched a couple of eps. Locke & Key didn’t do a lot for me...

Mick

On my list, thanks, tt (looks like loosely based on L Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology).

Yes I read that but the story is quite ambiguous, Joaquin Phoenix & Phillip Seymore Hoffman are outstanding as is Amy Adams, but Phoenix is the stand out for me, he plays a man completely out of control with clear mental health issues, he has 'visions' throughout the movie some of which are completely out there, particularly the scene where Hoffman sings the folk song (brilliant) and in the cinema at the end of the film.

Marvellous film, I think it will need a few viewings though, I've already watched it twice.

BTW, the boat used in the film was FDR's presidential yacht, the USS Potomac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_(2012_film)

Watched Evie on Netflix last night.

Great British film with shrike Hancock as an octagenerian widow wanting to hike a mountain. Great Scottish scenery, good scriot,. Not cheesy.

Bit of pathos about aging and wasted time,. But entertaining too

Been sat on watchlist for a while. Wish I'd seen it sooner.

1:30 so not too long for a weeknight either.

Marriage Story on Netflix
Forget that Kylo Ren nonsense, Adam Driver is superb.
Laura Dern hams it up nicely as cut throat divorce lawyer for an Oscar
Agreed, saw him in a White House conspiracy thing, the Report. It was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back