advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rising Phoenix on Netflix. Extraordinary, moving beyond words. One of the greatest documentaries I have ever seen.

“Rising Phoenix tells the extraordinary story of the Paralympic Games. From the rubble of World War II to the third biggest sporting event on the planet, the Paralympics sparked a global movement which continues to change the way the world thinks about disability, diversity & human potential.”

John Was Trying to Contact Aliens - Netflix. Doc about a guy spending his life as a DJ to any ETs on his wavelength. His quest works on two levels and the outcome is truly heartwarming. Only lasts 30 mins, but really memorable.

Agreed, a lovely and quite moving little film

High Score on Netflix.

The series is a history of video gaming. It’s big weakness is that it’s purely from a US/Japan perspective.
I did enjoy it (have watched first two episodes so far), but to me it's big weaknesses were that it feels under-researched, and it tries to be knowingly smart and fails too many times.

And, I know I’m picky, but the Space Invaders interview segment with its creator Tomohiro Nishikado was illustrated with video clips of every version of the game except the one Nishikado was speaking about.

The story of E.T. for the Atari 2600 is much better (worse) than the summary given here. An older Netflix documentary, Game Over gives a better summary of how crazy Atari was in the 1970s, and a little more of the reasons why the videogame crash happened as background to a less interesting physical excavation to prove or disprove of the myth that E.T. was so bad that in early 1983, Atari buried 100,000 unsold cartridges in Arizona in the dead of night.

I’ll still watch the rest.

Oh, what it reminded me of was another similar documentary, which I do recommend: The Toys That Made Us. Again, America-centric, but the stories behind the development of these toys are interesting

Watching Mindhunter after recommendations here. Very good indeed.

Also watch Barkskins on Nat Geographic about a drama set in North America loosely based around the Hudson Bay company. Well researched and a bit odd. Stars David Thewlis who always does odd very well

Watching Mindhunter after recommendations here. Very good indeed.

Also watch Barkskins on Nat Geographic about a drama set in North America loosely based around the Hudson Bay company. Well researched and a bit odd. Stars David Thewlis who always does odd very well
Mindhunter was not at all what I expected, and all the better for it. One of Netflix's finest, I think.

Watched the 'never surrender' galaxy quest documentary the other night. Really enjoyed it. Sky Arts I think

A guilty pleasure is Lucifer on Prime, unbelievable characters and a corny plot line but with some good one liners a lots of visual jokes.

Good Crappy as my son would say.

Been watching Justified the series. Good bit of Hillbilly violence and decent dialogue involved. Based on an Elmore Leonard novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back