Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by tones, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Ah, that's too bad. Season 5 episodes do appear to be available now here in the US, but I am waiting for the whole season to finish before signing up for a month and binging them.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

just loved DARK and 'the VVitch' (as they spell it - you may need it for a search) on netflix.

recently was watching the medici one and it's a let down mostly

3. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

The Joker is superb for those with Sky.. it’s recently been moved to Sky Cinema from Box Office, so is somewhat cheaper.

Amber Audio likes this.
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Lovecraft Country on Sky Atlantic; just watched first episode, rather excellent

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Eames: The Architect & The Painter on Prime, an interesting documentary about two of the 20th century’s finest and most interesting designers/innovators. Worth a look as it goes way beyond the wonderful chairs with much history some may not be aware of.

jagdesign likes this.
  6. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

The programme-makers frigged around with the spine of The Outsider And Others though... :)

7. Big Tabs

Big Tabs “telling it like it isn’t...”

apologies if previously mentioned.

'6 Underground' available on Netflix.

Michael Bay film with Ryan Reynolds.

Lots of dramatic car chases, Parkour and scantily clad business. You can almost see where cars have been substituted for Transformers... the sound also has weighty bass notes straight out of 'insert Michael Bay film'

It is fast-paced and is goodies against baddies with no complications.

Certified '15' in the U.K. - closer to an '18' we reckon.

there is colourful language, and oodles of c.g.i. gore / blood. :)

there is also a Ryan Reynolds/Deadpool humour floating around, although any humour in 6 Underground is fleeting.

I have seen the film 3 or 4 times so far.
    (on my own probably twice, once with daughter, once with wife )

Throwaway flashy action with a dark humour attached.

I think there will be more in this series.

Andrew C! likes this.
  8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I have no real knowledge of the work you reference so I just enjoyed it for what it was.

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  9. Markyb

Markyb pfm Member

Been watching Dirty John, a series based on a true crime case with Eric Bana. A good show

10. Wolfmancatsup

11. Markyb

Markyb pfm Member

Have a go at Mr Mercedes if you like the outsider.

12. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Series 1 was excellent, watched 2 but not got to 3 yet, thought 2 got a bit strange/far fetched but not in an engrossing way.

13. Wolfmancatsup

Different Outsider! Tv series of the King Outsider was very good, I thought - one of the best adaptations of his work.

Mick

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  14. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I've not seen any of this, quick synopsis? worth watching?

15. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

In a dystopian, polluted right wing religious tyranny, a young woman is put in sexual slavery on account of her now rare fertility. Set in a Fascistic future America, The Handmaid's Tale tells the story of Kate, a handmaid. ... The job of a Handmaid is to bear the children of the man to whom she is assigned.

Is it worth a watch? Yes but as I mentioned it's pretty brutal.

matt j likes this.
  16. Taff63

Taff63 pfm Member

Amazon picked up The Expanse after it was dropped by SyFy - the 4th series sticks closely to the book like previous efforts.

stephen bennett and sean99 like this.
  17. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I just watched the first episode of The Umbrella Academy (season 1).

Quirky, well written and rather good, I think. Less frantic and formulaic than the usual Netflix Original series too.

Does it maintain the quality?

Woodface likes this.
  18. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

I enjoyed Season 1 a lot I'd say they maintained things all the way through, not started Season 2, yet saving it for a rainy weekend.

Similar shows:

Prime - The Boys (S2 due Sept 4th), Netflix - Titans 1 & 2 and STARZ - Dawn Patrol 1 & 2​

Plus the whole bunch of Daredevil universe shows

stephen bennett and droodzilla like this.
  19. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yes, series two is equally good

droodzilla likes this.
  20. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

The Expanse is great - reminds me somewhat of the Battlestar Galactica remake which I also enjoyed. I enjoyed Dark, though I felt it lost the plot a bit in season 3.