advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Succession and the Roy family at its centre are said to be based on the Murdochs.

I reckon substance misuser Kendall will eventually stab the others in the back and take over from his dad Logan, the founder of the media conglomerate. I'm sure he's got a machete somewhere and we're only two Seasons in.

Brian Cox is great as Logan.

Jack

The Stranger’s good

Hmmm... it does look good. Duly queued (but only just started Ragnarok, so it'll be a few weeks before I get there...).

As for Succession, I loved the Season 2 finale & am looking fwd to S3. The one thing I don't like about Succession is how the three kids seem unable to complete a sentence without including multiple variations of the F word, regardless of context; slightly lazy scripting imho.

Don't F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer (on Netflix).

Absolutely brilliant in a sick/twisted/intriguing/weird/horrible type of way.

A ‘must see’ in my book.

The Great Hack documentary on Netflix is for the most part excellent. It covers Cambridge Analytica, its CEO Alexander Nix and the reporting of Carole Cadwalladr into CA and the Facebook scandal. There are revelatory interviews with CA whistleblowers like Brittany Kaiser and Christopher Wylie.

The doc illustrates the role CA and Facebook played in data harvesting and information warfare during the election of Trump and Brexit. It also puts the spotlight on Farage, UKIP and Leave EU. Dominic Cummings isn't properly skewered though.

Kaiser has a major part in the doc along with David Carroll. He is the New York media professor, who demanded to know what data CA held on him and took them to court in England.

Carole Cadwalladr says it is now impossible to have a democratic election or referendum. A massive con is being perpetrated by data harvesters, politicians and billionaires, together with the tech giants. This has resulted in conflict and far-right governments getting into power around the world.

The Great Hack is directed by Jehane Noujaim and Karim Amer, who did the Oscar-nominated Great Square about the Arab spring. It's interesting that The Great Hack wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, but then the ceremony takes place in Trumpland.

Here are Cadwalladr's thoughts on the film: https://www.theguardian.com

Jack

Last edited:
The Great Hack documentary on Netflix is for the most part excellent. It covers Cambridge Analytica, its CEO Alexander Nix and the reporting of Carole Cadwalladr into CA and the Facebook scandal. There are revelatory interviews with CA whistleblowers like Brittany Kaiser and Christopher Wylie.

The doc illustrates the role CA and Facebook played in data harvesting and information warfare during the election of Trump and Brexit. It also puts the spotlight on Farage, UKIP and Leave EU. Dominic Cummings isn't properly skewered though.

Kaiser has a major part in the doc along with David Carroll. He is the New York media professor, who demanded to know what data CA held on him and took them to court in England.

Carole Cadwalladr says it is now impossible to have a democratic election or referendum. A massive con is being perpetrated by data harvesters, politicians and billionaires, together with the tech giants. This has resulted in conflict and far-right governments getting into power around the world.

The Great Hack is directed by Jehane Noujaim and Karim Amer, who did the Oscar-nominated Great Square about the Arab spring. It's interesting that The Great Hack wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, but then the ceremony takes place in Trumpland.

Here are Cadwalladr's thoughts on the film: https://www.theguardian.com

Jack

Talking of Zuckerberg, “Social Network” is a decent movie - good script by Alan Sorkin of West Wing fame. It’s on Netflix. Unprincipled irritating college kid becomes unprincipled irritating kazillionaire. And “The Brink” (I think you can rent it from Apple) completes the story with a fascinating study of Steve Bannon.

Talking of Zuckerberg, “Social Network” is a decent movie - good script by Alan Sorkin of West Wing fame. It’s on Netflix. Unprincipled irritating college kid becomes unprincipled irritating kazillionaire. And “The Brink” (I think you can rent it from Apple) completes the story with a fascinating study of Steve Bannon.

I saw Social Network at the cinema and enjoyed its portrayal of Zuckerberg and those who started Facebook, although the situation is darker now.

I"m not completely sure whether I've seen The Brink, but will definitely check it out.

Jack

I"m not completely sure whether I've seen The Brink, but will definitely check it out.

Jack

There is a chilling scene in The Brink that I will never forget ..here’s a bit of the review from the NYT

In one of the movie’s very first scenes, Bannon discusses a sequence from his movie “Torchbearer,” from 2016, that takes place at Auschwitz, and he praises the filming that he did there: “My shit in Auschwitz rocked.” He then cites Birkenau as “the most haunting place I think I’ve ever been,” and imagines industrial designers working on the plans for the death camp as having “totally detached themselves from the moral horror of it”; it’s a reminder, he says, that “humans can do this—humans that are not devils, but humans that are just humans.”

'Wild'. With Reece Witherspoon hiking the Pacific Crest Trail was a good watch. Good scenery and good back story.

One of those ones you watch with low exopectations that are quickly exceeded.

The Captor on Prime - a captivating film about the crazy/farcical hostage situation that gave rise to the term Stockholm syndrome :)

'Wild'. With Reece Witherspoon hiking the Pacific Crest Trail was a good watch. Good scenery and good back story.

One of those ones you watch with low exopectations that are quickly exceeded.

it is good. reese witherspoon is typically excellent (when she does a serious film). has nobody seen "morning show" yet?

it is good. reese witherspoon is typically excellent (when she does a serious film). has nobody seen "morning show" yet?
I watched Morning Show. Very plastic, star vehicle kind of stuff. Aniston has some of the worst, cringe-worthy speeches I’ve ever heard. But it raises the “me too” issues well, and is thought-provoking. Apple have got a long way to go to catch up with HBO. I’ve not watched any Apple TV+ since the Morning Show, despite having a free subscription.

Here’s an example of Aniston hamming it up ..

I watched Morning Show. Very plastic, star vehicle kind of stuff. Aniston has some of the worst, cringe-worthy speeches I’ve ever heard. But it raises the “me too” issues well, and is thought-provoking. Apple have got a long way to go to catch up with HBO. I’ve not watched any Apple TV+ since the Morning Show, despite having a free subscription.

Here’s an example of Aniston hamming it up ..

That scene reminds me of the ham veneer often found in David Lynch material... except there's no sudden switch to the real McCoy as you might see with David Lynch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back