advertisement

Recommended DACs/Headphone Amps for use with IPad.

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
Hi Folks

I’m currently between systems and am using a Naim Mu So QB. Streaming music etc is still something of a novelty in our home as we’ve only recently secured decent internet.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD580s stashed away and thought I’d bring them back in to service to listen to music on my IPad. Obviously the IPad can’t drive the 580s.

Can anyone recommend a good DAC/heaphone amp that would provide good performance and stay in service when I get my next vinyl based system? I still have my WT Versalex and my Dyna phono amp. Budget circa £500. Mobility preferred but not essential.

Many thanks
Peter

S/h Hugo 1. Unbeatable at that price. It also opens up the possibility of dsd and flac files on your iPad via the onkyo app. The results are remarkable.

How will the amp/dac be connected to get music out of it?
I’m happy with Fostex Hp4 abl. It has toslink or usb input and is small enough to be carried around the house easily.
Mand

Meridian Explorer2 for a lot less than your budget. Then just buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable to use into your pre.

For £109 you could not go to far wrong with a FiiO A5 portable amp. I have it's predecessor (E12a) and it is great unit - it has hi/low gain and so drives my HD600s no problem. It's an AMP not DAC, but for interim use the iPad (Pro?) has a more than reasonable DAC and better passable SQ with Quobuz etc. It's a fun little box.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-a5-portable-headphone-amplifier.21888/reviews

For me the E12 was indecent value, the A5 looks to be same. Very nice build and tactility at the price point too, if that counts.

Many thanks for the suggestions so far. The Hugo 1 looks interesting and can be found at around £500. At the other extreme price wise is the FiiO E5. Having read the review (thanks for the link guest), this will also be worth a look and use some money to improve the ‘phones. As I said, streaming is now possible (but only recently) so I’m finding my way a bit.

It’s an IPad Pro BTW.

Peter

As complete change I'd consider purchasing the Sony WH1000 XM3 headphones. They can be used wired or wirelessly with bluetooth connectivity (over which it will be a compressed signal from the iPad Apple not supporting any of the HiRez formats, see link below) but unless you are in an ideal listening situation I suspect you would struggle to spot the difference. They also have far more utility, being able to used outside the home and having superb noise cancelling. Alternatively for home use a Topping DX3 Pro can also take a Bluetooth signal from your iPad and has a decent DAC and headphone amp.

https://darko.audio/2019/04/5-reasons-why-the-iphone-is-a-poor-choice-for-portable-audio/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-topping-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967

As above, do consider the wireless solution. I used to use an iPad Mini 4 with Beyer T5p2 phones, along with a Denon DA10 dac/amp. I've moved to B&W PX phones. The SQ isn't quite as good but usability is far superior and the SQ is excellent.

The headphone output is OK on the iPad, but I found that the best performance means using an external DAC and amp. If using a DAC you need an Apple CCK (some DACS will natively accept a digital in from an iPad without having to use a CCK). Several cables plus the phone cables themselves. On the other hand just turn the PXs on and off you go. Charge lasts for many hours. Works seemelessly. No dropouts. Remote ear cup control, if needed. Noise cancelling, if required. All in all an excellent package for the price (I bought direct from B&W and they have a 60 day return period).

I decided on the Chord Hugo in the end and bid on a nice example on eBay. It really has brought the music to life through my HD580s. These now have a new cable, ear pads and headband padding. I plan to change the 580s in due course, but for now, very pleased.
My thanks to everyone who offered up suggestions and advice. Oddly, I wasn’t able to find an original Apple cable (CCK) for connecting the Hugo to my iPad, so got a generic cable from Amazon.
Peter

advertisement

Back