advertisement

Recommendations: Marilyn Crispell?

MarkW

Full Speed & Pagan
Bought Amaryllis - nice, reflective stuff mostly. Good for Sunday's loafing with the iPod whispering down one's ears whilst the kids stuff Happy People into the most improbable places.

But I thought Ms Crispell was a bit more durm und strang, a bit more Cecil, if you know what I mean.

Any must haves?

Thanks

Mark

She's gone awfully pretty. The solo For Coltrane is fantastic, from her earlier, more angular, period, there's some astonishingly beautiful readings of Trane tunes on there, but real grit too. Spirit Music, her first LP as a leader IIRC, is another good one. Plus, of course, her mid-80s appearances on Anthony Braxton's records.

I like her recent stuff, but I can't listen to a whole record of it all the way through.

-- Ian

Hi Ian

Amaryllis is very pretty. There's some good work from Paul Motian and esp Gary Peacock. I think it's typical of ECM, and a lot of it is difficult to keep going through a whole album at once. Individually the tracks are good and enjoyable, just not one after the other for an hour or so.

I like a few more sparks to fly, I guess.

I'll check out the Trane and the Braxton recs, thanks.

Mark

There's an earlier 2 disk ECM with Peacock and Motian, I believe, called Nothing ever was, Anyway... the music of Annette Peacock. Last time I listened to it, sounded like meaningless meandering that never went anywhere. It is languishin on my shelf.

Admittedly, I soundchecked the latest ECM at the shop recently and it sounded quite good, very ECMish. But I didn't dare buy it.

I'll give the earlier trio another go one of these days.

advertisement

Back