advertisement

Recommendations for ska and reggae

Thank you. I should clarify re dancing - i hate it in public, but always find my posterior swaying to reggae (not true dancing ha ha)

I remember seeing Trojan compilations in record stores ... are they another good place to start?

I got this 3 CD set some years back ..
Play it continuously in the shed when I'm doing stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00005RW2K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
under £8 so it don't rob the bank :D

Mix of original Ska classics and the usual revivalist UK bands - not bad at all for starters.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
nice selection of roots rockers on "Don Letts - Dread meets Punk Rockers Uptown" (Heavenly CD/LP) and there's a few decent Island Records Comps in the "Presents" series.
The Don Letts a good comp, love the little indents between tracks .

Why do reggae threads always focus on old music

Not sure about other threads. This one I think good to introduce Neil to the greats, the pioneers etc.
Then work up to modern stuff. He may not like the old stuff and prefer the new. No right or wrong, old or new if the tune hits the spot and even gets your feet moving then all good.

Because the old stuff is always better?

I certainly prefer the raw edge of original Bluebeat/Ska to the 'smoothed out' revivalist UK versions.

Ditto with Reggae, although to be fair I was never really as captivated by the genre.

advertisement

Back