advertisement

Recommendations for ska and reggae

Neil P

pfm Member
Can anyone recommend good places to start for reggae and ska music? I've known for years that they're virtually the only genres that get me dancing around the house, but have never sought out some tunes.

Over to you good folks!

Dancing, may rule out so much Reggae,
So much ska and reggae not the best recorded but will still make you move your feet.
Ska-
Roland Alphonso
Don Drummond
Baba Brooks
So many to choose from.

Dancing, may rule out so much Reggae,
So much ska and reggae not the best recorded but will still make you move your feet.
Ska-
Roland Alphonso
Don Drummond
Baba Brooks
So many to choose from.

Thank you. I should clarify re dancing - i hate it in public, but always find my posterior swaying to reggae (not true dancing ha ha)

I remember seeing Trojan compilations in record stores ... are they another good place to start?

Trojan , studio one but look out for Ska comps or rock steady . Obviously not Dub stuff , though can sway to that too but in a different way

As mentioned above, Trojan and Studio One have released some superb compilations. I first got into reggae etc. in the very late ‘sixties as a lad (my first single was The Liquidator) and my preference for the music remains mostly from the mid-‘sixties to the mid-‘seventies.
On top of artists mentioned by others, some good choices might be Toots & the Maytals, Jimmy Cliff and Desmond Dekker. YouTube might help the op narrow down the stuff he likes.

Mick

Many compilations out there. Already mentioned check you tube to get an idea on what style Reggae you like. Rockers, Roots etc
Few more classics from more well known artists

advertisement

Back