advertisement

Recommendations for music like - The Postal Service

Postal Service came from the studio they recorded at called 'Postal'.
Hmmm. That's not what I read. Here's the background according to allmusic: Named for the way they traded sounds and ideas, the Postal Service is an electronica-meets-indie rock supergroup featuring Jimmy Tamborello (of Dntel and Figurine), and Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard; Rilo Kiley's Jenny Lewis, and former Tattle Tale and solo artist Jen Wood provide backing vocals. Tamborello and Gibbard first worked together on the title track of Dntel's This Is the Dream of Evan and Chan EP; from there, the duo continued to collaborate via mail, with Tamborello sending electronic pieces and Gibbard adding guitars, vocals, and lyrics. The result, Give Up, were released in early 2003 by Sub Pop.

I'm not so sure I like Sea and Cake after all. I got the album Everybody today, and it is a bit drony sounding. Partly, I think, because it is compressed. Bah!!!
That's not my favorite of theirs, although it's OK. I prefer "One Bedroom", and their eponymous first release was very good too.

Hmmm. That's not what I read.

You might be right, since in the booklet it says it was recorded at Dying Songs and ComputerWorld studios. I wonder how that got in my head then!

Also I didn't realise Dntel and Figurine was the same guy... I should look at more of the booklets!

That's not my favorite of theirs, although it's OK. I prefer "One Bedroom", and their eponymous first release was very good too.

I'll see if I can download it first to see if I like it. I relied on the Amazon sound clips before. They are so poor quality I can hardly tell if I will like the music.

Ms John Soda, Architecture in Helsinki and Feist arrived today.

Ms John Soda is as good as the myspace clips. I wondered if there would be some incredible tracks on the album that were not on myspace, but there were not. Its all good, but some tracks are better than others for sure.

Architecture in Helsinki is awesome :D I think its like Frente and Shang Shang Typhoon mixed together! Got to get more of this.

... its nothing like Postal Service though, lol.

Feist is also enjoyable and quite happy sounding. Less than perfect recording, but never mind its good enough.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Alex, I'll stick that CD in the post for you tomorrow.

I'm not so sure I like Sea and Cake after all. I got the album Everybody today, and it is a bit drony sounding. Partly, I think, because it is compressed. Bah!!!
I should mention that all the Sea and Cake's stuff sounds a "bit" compressed, as that's kind of their style. To me, they sound very much like China Crisis, from both a musical and production standpoint.

Mike Hanson

Postal Service came from the studio they recorded at called 'Postal'.

I'd read they chose the name as they mailed the words / music across the US to each other and didn't meet up in the studio.

Kevin

advertisement

Back