advertisement

Recommendations for bespoke cable assembly

Tim's Dad

pfm Member
I need two bespoke dc power supply cables making up (3.1 mm right-angle dc connector x 2, to 5 pin 240 DIN, excellent shielding for 6 and 7 metre lengths).

Can anyone recommend a good value company who will be happy to flex for non-standard requirements and will do a great job?

Flashback was the obvious candidate but of course no longer with us...

Many thanks

Mark

I'll do it but I strongly recommend against what the OP is asking for... Oh and right angle connector in that size would be a deal breaker.

Thanks everyone. The power supply is for electrostatic speakers (Kingsound Kings). The original supplies were 12v 250mA. The low-noise improved supply is 1.5A each channel. Although I only have one pair at the moment, I want to try doubling them up (sited at right angles) and am on the look out to buy when they become available second hand. I've got to get new cables anyway as I have moved all my gear into the next door cupboard for acoustic isolation. The power supply is the lone box still sitting on the floor at the back of the room! The cables already need to be 3.5 m long to reach the speakers, so I would just be adding another couple of metres.
Arkless - given the additional info, do you still have concerns? I thought it would be better to run the cable in series rather than two in parallel from the same output giving twice the cable length?

Thanks everyone. The power supply is for electrostatic speakers (Kingsound Kings). The original supplies were 12v 250mA. The low-noise improved supply is 1.5A each channel. Although I only have one pair at the moment, I want to try doubling them up (sited at right angles) and am on the look out to buy when they become available second hand. I've got to get new cables anyway as I have moved all my gear into the next door cupboard for acoustic isolation. The power supply is the lone box still sitting on the floor at the back of the room! The cables already need to be 3.5 m long to reach the speakers, so I would just be adding another couple of metres.
Arkless - given the additional info, do you still have concerns? I thought it would be better to run the cable in series rather than two in parallel from the same output giving twice the cable length?

With the additional info I am less concerned about voltage drop and the impedance of the cables making any regulation in the PSU's pretty redundant... but also even more certain that the screening is completely pointless.

The EHT supply within the speakers will likely be a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier and impervious to noise etc.
Common mode filtering at the speaker end would be more effective than screened cable anyway even if they were in any way sensitive to noise. As I said above, good luck finding a right angle 6.3 x 3.1mm DC barrel connector!

advertisement

Back