advertisement

Recommendations for a ios upnp player please?

jellyheadjeff

pfm Member
I currently use a qed badged version of the mconnect player for a qed play up in my bedroom and have also tried the mconnect lite version. Both frequently come up with memory errors on various ipad minis (models 1,2 & 4). Quite happy with basic functionality (I tend to play albums from start to finish) but ideally would like a upnp client that presents itself in portrait mode. I know there’s an mconnect hd that does this but based on the numerous memory error messages I get on the qed badged version and mconnect lite I was hoping for a more stable solution.

Any suggestions?

I’ve tried linn kazoo but only ever get ‘waiting for rooms’. Not tried ipenge - is there a trail version to check it out?

iPeng is an LMS rather than UPnP client. You could try Linn Kinsky. It predates Kazoo but it is a bit more open. Have you tried mconnect Control? Do you know whether the memory error messages relate to RAM or storage space?

Oooh. Both kazoo and kinsky can’t seem to find my nas. Maybe I need to change some IP discovery settings? However mconnect control works fine. I’ll try that to see if I still get the memory errors. It’s not a resource issue unless it’s the qed play - ipads are 128gb with plenty free and nas has several TB free.

Thank you Strictly Stereo. Sweet as a nut so far with mconnect control hd - no error messages so far. Free too

How do I get an image on the left hand side though when playing?

Are you talking about album art? It will display any embedded album art automatically. Are you using embedded artwork or is the cover art stored alongside the music files as separate (usually jpeg) files? That second option probably requires some extra help from your media server, so do you know what media server your NAS is running? If you don't know then what NAS are you using?

I have an Innuos Zenith, a Melco N1ZH and also Asset UPnP running on a Mac. I have no problems displaying album art from any of these.

Yes after album art on the left pane.I use minimserver on a synolgy nas. It displays the album art on the right hand side but not the left when playing.

By fiddling around I’ve discovered the left hand pane artwork shows correctly when I use my ipad as a playback device but not when I use my qed streamer as a playback device. Artwork though shows fine in the right hand pane.

Just a field report. Mconnect control hd working well - portrait mode for my ipad mini, no memories errors that I previously experienced with mconnect player lite/qed uplay version (which never stopped playback btw - just an annoyance at the end to clear the errors). Free. Only odd thing is it doesn’t show artwork on left hand side but does on right hand side when cast to qed device but fine when same operation to the ipad . Suspect a quirk in terms of a no longer sold qed device. No biggie for me though so thank you strictly stereo for your suggestion that I would have not been aware of.

You can try Creative 5, mconnect is not bad but unfortunately stays on all the time, in fact if you exit it, it no longer plays the playlist.

Do you mean Creation 5 rather than Creative 5? If so have tried that previously and didn’t like the qed uplay. Gives a dnla error first off, asks you whether you want to play anyway & when you select yes it plays the first track and then plays no further tracks. Didn’t like the dial interface either.

Excuse my ignorance but can you explain the always on bit and what the draw back with it is? I never use playlists - always play an album start to finish if that makes any difference. Regards

Yes Creation5, well I changed to android and its a total different experience. I used android 10 years ago and it was bad, but now its as good as ios, and for streaming is better, except the screen, samsung screens are awful..
I remember mconnect stays active in the background and consume battery but since you are using a dedicated ipad it should be no problem for you..

Ah - gotcha re: always connected but that’s not an issue for me. Thank you all. Any other suggestions welcome but already happier with the mconnect control hd over previous options tried so far.

advertisement

Back