advertisement

Recommendations for a 50” tv with half decent sound quality?

I would recommend a 50” Pioneer plasma from around 15 years ago. Superb picture and superb sound. I gave mine away recently because we moved to a new flat with a large room suitable for a much larger telly. You should be able to get one on ebay for around £100.

I had a 50” plasma, they are thirsty beasts though, have a large frame, less resolution and no smart functionality.

It certainly a brilliant product. I have a Humax HD Freesat PVR Box (had this before I got Sky Q miniboxes) and despite what some may say, the Sky interface is hugely better. We listen to a lot of music as a family but also lots of tv, films, Netflix series etc.

I will probably buy from Richer and have used them before. Just don’t much fancy squeezing into the little Brighton shop.

You can't tell anything much from the showroom as they have them all set to 'showroom' mode
which is the brightest setting you will never use at home.
Free 6 year warranty at Richer Sounds.
The LG smart remote is worth having, with a point and click cursor.

Does Sky broadcast anything much/at all beyond a few footy games in high res? I think the Aussies had 4k live to air feed of the test matches for example...

Where did you buy the equipment then?

I understand that getting a box or two is not the challenge. But paying for the subscription at a reasonable price is more difficult. It helps to know someone with a UK address...

I also don't have UK Netflix.

They’ve just got back to me.
Subscription starts at £ 31 a month, plus installation cost and satellite box. Quite expensive, and I don’t know know what it will actually cost me in €, with the Brexit rip-off tax they take here in France.

Chartz, the links you sent are nothing to do with Sky themselves from what I can see. They are basically offering the hardware and viewing cards as a third party, to allow them to register the account at a UK address. You pay them £200pa for this 'service', on top of subscription fees if I'm reading it correctly. You then need to use a VPN to pretend you're in the UK.
Skycards.eu are not a registered UK company by the looks of it.

From their T&Cs - "Any correspondence needs to come to Skycards.eu. Sky may cancel your account if you contact them directly." I suspect the reason for that is that Sky (and Now TV) can no longer be streamed to EU countries (something called Brexit I think).

Worth a read on the Sky page: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/viewing-sky-content-in-the-eu-faqs

So you would be breaking the Sky T&Cs anyway. But if willing, you could probably do it a lot cheaper DIY, if you have a friend in the UK who could register the account and pay for it from UK, and you pay them back. The hardware can be picked up from eBay for very little (Sky boxes or Now TV). And you'd need a VPN too of course, and that won't increase your internet speed...

I had Sky access in France at my Brittany pad when I subscribed to it in the U.K. Took a Box and dish over, got them installed there and I just took my card with me. Now I use it as a freeview box to access U.K. terrestrial channels.

advertisement

Back