advertisement

Recommendations for a 50” tv with half decent sound quality?

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
Dear wise PFM,

I’m looking to replace the main TV which by todays standards is virtually a portable at 40”. It’s an older Sony LCD that was one of the better panels at the time.

I’d like to buy a 50” but wondered if anyone could recommend a set that sounds half decent without breaking the bank? By that, I’d say sub £1000.

I do have a soundbar (Yamaha projection job with a separate sub) but it only tends to get used for the odd movie.

Thanks Jez

We have the 2019 65” LG equivalent of these:

I found this at John Lewis & Partners. What do you think?
https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled48...lLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled55...lLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

S
ound quality on ours is astonishing. Important to keep the stand in place I’d imagine (so no wall mounting) as the stand doubles as part of the way the sound is projected.

FWIW I’d go for the 55” if it fits your room.

We have the 2019 65” LG equivalent of these:

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled48...lLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled55...lLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

S
ound quality on ours is astonishing. Important to keep the stand in place I’d imagine (so no wall mounting) as the stand doubles as part of the way the sound is projected.

FWIW I’d go for the 55” if it fits your room.

Thanks Whaleblue. I should add that I have a 65” LG OLED in my music room and agree it does sound surprisingly good.

50” is the biggest we want to go in the sitting room though. I’ll check out that 48” LG you linked to.

C1 has 40W rather than 20W speakers, A9 vs A7 cpu so more horsepower in the picture processing dept, 4 HDMI and 3 USB vs 3 and 2 and does the PS5 120Hz thang.

40”. It’s an older Sony LCD that was one of the better panels at the time.

Our 40" Sony has passed the ten year mark and as far as I can see, is as good as when new; like you, it was the recommended one back when and has a 'frame', which today's TVs do not. Whereas I'm happy to progress to a 50" (or 55" if I can get it in; doubtful), it'll not be before my lovely Sony goes belly up.

Our 40" Sony has passed the ten year mark and as far as I can see, is as good as when new; like you, it was the recommended one back when and has a 'frame', which today's TVs do not. Whereas I'm happy to progress to a 50" (or 55" if I can get it in; doubtful), it'll not be before my lovely Sony goes belly up.

Yes, ours was a What Hifi award winner. Although tbh I have never been as happy with it as I was with my previous Sony despite tweaking settings.

We do sit some distance from the tv though, which means 40” does look on the small side.

We have a John Lewis at Home and a Curry’s nearly next to each other in Horsham, so will pay a trip there in the next couple of days.

J.L used to be good and my Sony came from there; things have changed, however. Currys, in contrast, have always put one into a Korma; never again. Their 'Know-how' servicing really is a 'No way' 'cos they never seem to know why !

John Lewis was my go to when asked for advice on buying IT or AV and what I used myself for many items over the years, unfortunately it appears over the last couple of years their customer support has fallen off a cliff. Bought the then latest iPhone a while ago and when it arrived and wouldn’t charge up the JL support was utterly frustratingly useless.

Richersounds however on the 2 occasions I have needed them recently have been excellent.

Decent sound quality in a flat TV? Nah.
Soundbars are all appalling too, so just use an amp with good hi-fi speakers. That’s what I do – I couldn’t care less about Dolby, DTS, surround, sub, etc.

We have a John Lewis at Home and a Curry’s

don't bother - treat em as a showroom. But JLs customer service has declined - and Curry's, less said yhe better.

Richer Sounds

mostly I agree, but clearly like you I haven't tested every one, so I can't really comment with any authority. You are clearly more expert than everyone on PFM in these matters.

There are some interesting developments in using the integrated stand that improve matters. Yes I've heard them.

Soundbars are appalling too

Again have you heard all the ones on the market. I have heard some good ones though. All are a compromise, but appalling is not something I would ascribe to them. Clearly you have the expertise.

I haven’t heard all of them obviously, but all the ones I did hear (even the expensive ones) were pretty horrid things. And don’t get me started on picture quality!
I’ll get my coat.

Soundbars are all appalling too, so just use an amp with good hi-fi speakers. That’s what I do – I couldn’t care less about Dolby, DTS, surround, sub, etc.

I’d not say the soundbar is appalling but I do have the 65” OLED running through
my main system for movies, You Tube music etc and that’s fantastic.

I just don’t want the sitting room tv to sound crap.

advertisement

Back