advertisement

Recommendations for 2nd hand speakers - budget £500

ajm

pfm Member
Hi,

My friend is looking for a pair of speakers on the 2nd hand market - his budget is around £500.

He'd prefer floorstanders but would consider bookshelf speakers if they came with nice stands.

Anyone got any interesting suggestions that he should consider?

Source is Gyrodec SE, Arcam CD72 cd player and Arcam A75 amp if this helps?

Thanks

I'd look at B&W CDM1nt - should be in budget allowing for decent stands - excellent synergy with arcam gear in my experience (the CDM1se is also excellent and should be a fair chunk cheaper; CDM7se should also be in budget, these are the floorstanding version and do need a bit more space)

I have some Myryad A170 bookshelfs in the classified, they are about identical to Q.acoustics Concept 20

I suspect that they would, wasn't it the Ninka that replaced the Keilidh?

If buying Linn, don't buy Kabers unless you want to go active. A friend has a pair, they are very thin sounding indeed on his LK280.

I suspect that they would, wasn't it the Ninka that replaced the Keilidh?

If buying Linn, don't buy Kabers unless you want to go active. A friend has a pair, they are very thin sounding indeed on his LK280.
Keilidhs are excellent, Ninkas are a fair step ahead of Keilidhs, a proper used bargain!

There is probably lovely pair of IMF TLS80 on ebay right now for £350. Amazing piece of audio excellence if he has plenty of space.

JAS Audio Orior Grand Speaker
JAS_OriorGrand.jpg

Outstanding Features:
Two way design with twin-ribbon tweeter
Authentic wood veneer plus multi-layers of piano lacquer
High quality binding posts
Pure natural wool for damping
Internal horizontal bracing
High quality components
list--$ 6,500.00 /pr

Specifications:
Frequency response: 29Hz - 60kHz
Sensitivity: 89 dB/W/M
Crossover frequency: 2.2kHz
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Power handling: 10 - 220 W
Tweeter: pure aluminum twin-ribbon
Mid/Woofer: 7" Accuton ceramic driver
Dimensions (W x H x D): 30 x 105 x 43 cm
Net weight: 28kg per speaker have a pair of these in same finish with cosmetic damage (been repaired cabinet only)

epos M12i can be got cheap ( less than £200) and you have lots of money to buy some stands. Since they have a very simple cross over really very little to go wrong with them

I paid exactly £500 for a pair of Kef reference 2's. Gorgeous build quality, impressive scale. Work ok in my 5x4m room with Nait xs amplification but respond well to bigger spaces with bigger amps. Highly recommended.

Spendor A5's are well worth considering & a step up from the earlier S5e. I sold my A5's a few months ago for £600 having acquired some new A5R's at a knock-down price. My A5's were mint but most others on e-bay had gone for less.

advertisement

Back