advertisement

Recommendable supermarket fresh fruit and vegetables

Yes I don’t have a Lidl near me but a friend of mine does and she gave me some cherries from there a few weeks ago. They were certainly the best cherries I can remember having in the UK, possibly as good as some exceptional ones I once had in America.

Interesting as never had good cherries in Lidl - you must have been lucky. M&S cherries are consistently good.

Interesting as never had good cherries in Lidl - you must have been lucky. M&S cherries are consistently good.

Every year, without fail, some van sets up shop just outside Penzance selling cherries from Kent. I remain perplexed….

Every year, without fail, some van sets up shop just outside Penzance selling cherries from Kent. I remain perplexed….

Ha - maybe they bought them from Lidl!

Kent cherries are absolutely amazing but some of the cherries I’ve bought in the province of Valencia has been exceptional. Including stopping in mountain villages with a bowl of fruit on a chair outside a house and buying the largest cherries I have ever seen.

Yer, I use them mainly for ornament in salads. They taste better if cooked. We use them in a French sweet pancake dish I can’t recall the name of.

Clafoutis or something like…
Clafoutis is traditionally made with cherries, so blueberries aren't out of the way. It's a Yorkshire pudding batter with a bit of sugar and cherries. The best blueberries are found in the Peak district and Yorkshire Dales in July and August. However they a chore to pick. I like blueberries mixed in Greek yogurt.

Blue berries got off on the super healthy kick and now everyone is ****ing them up. They still look nice even if they are a bit short on taste. Better if cooked. I stand by that.

30-E7868-E-6-D93-4207-8204-CB97750-B745-F.png

Just excellent.

Two travesties with regard to fruit and veg….
1. Strawberries etc at christmas - ditto tomatoes
And
2. almost all fruit and veg now packaged maybe due to covid but now I’m sure they could go back to loose if they wanted so must be a financial reason

CDwgbIFWMAAtjUv.jpg

When I was last in Crete I found a little Raki bar which served me a dish of basically baked potatoes and broad beans. It was totally delicious.

What better way to celebrate the arrival of Jerseys in Morrisons than with my own version? Not the ones on a plastic bag, obvs. The ones in a box and you fill your own bag.

To me they taste exactly like Jersey Royals should taste, tasted when I was a child.

Microwave baked, served with broad beans (Egyptian, frozen, cooked with garlic, sage and milk, lemon rind grated on the top, a River Café recipe.) Here served with a salad of Roquefort, lettuce and walnuts. Delicious. As you can see, nothing remains.

8-C7612-E1-3-B4-D-4-EBB-BB3-A-EA0-B8-FC0-AA03.jpg

Clafoutis is traditionally made with cherries, so blueberries aren't out of the way. It's a Yorkshire pudding batter with a bit of sugar and cherries. The best blueberries are found in the Peak district and Yorkshire Dales in July and August. However they a chore to pick. I like blueberries mixed in Greek yogurt.
Nice blueberries in The Lake District too, although these are really bilberries. Yes, a real fiddle to pick, but much nicer than supermarket blueberries.

Hi, i get my fruit from my local barrow boy, Saturday and Monday, he sells out everyday, so all his fruit and veg, is bought at the wholesale market every morning, and it last's over a week, plus its cheap, two honey melons, for £1-50p, 2KG of seedless grapes £1-50p, pineapple's again £1-50 for two, and the list goes on, everything is sold loose, strawberry's etc are sold in punnets but no lid, go try your local market,

I have noticed recently that the supermarket so-called New Potatoes we are getting seem to be remarkably finickity about cooking time - a problem I have never really had before. They seem to go from underdone to falling apart in next to no time. Is this a function of storage conditions or variety? The latest, from Tesco are a variety called Jazzy, grown in Norfolk yet ironically we live in supposedly potato growing heaven - East Lothian.

M&S continue to excel for me. Cheap too. 2kg bag of white potatoes £1 (made excellent roasties), 1kg carrots 55p, cauli £1.15, green beans £1.10. All delicious and very fresh. Superb English strawberries 2 punnets for £4. Far better than other supermarkets IMHO, can’t see what more they can do really.

Last edited:
M&S continue to excel for me. Cheap too. 2kg bag of white potatoes £1 (made excellent roasties), 1kg carrots 55p, cauli £1.15, green beans £1.10. All delicious and very fresh. Superb English strawberries 2 punnets for £4. Far better than other supermarkets IMHO, can’t see what more than they do really.

Very good blood oranges at the moment at Marks and Spencer.

Very good blood oranges at the moment at Marks and Spencer.

Thanks, will try some. Their bananas and apples are also great. In fact, everything I buy there is excellent and reasonably priced. I don’t go to Waitrose at all now, overpriced and quality down IMHO.

advertisement

Back