advertisement

Recommendable supermarket fresh fruit and vegetables

mandryka

pfm Member
M&S fairly recently opened a mega-food-store near us, I must say the scan as you go is a nightmare which only gets worse as you try to pay, Waitrose had this sorted years ago how come Marks can’t match it at this late stage?
Still prefer M&S stuff generally though. Waitrose soft fruit is absolute Pants, there’s usually only a day before the best-by on the berries and the stone fruit is rock hard and gets harder the longer you keep it.
By the way I haven’t seen a decent strawberry anywhere for about 5 years, they are full of translucent mushy patches and I end up chucking half of them away. What’s going on there?

Very good strawberries from Tesco this year, the variety had the name Eve in it.

Also let me recommend Morrisons white flesh nectarines and Marks and Spencer Chanterais melons.

Apricots were very fine from Marks and Spencer a few weeks ago, not tried them for a while though.

Lovely fresh mango from Tesco recently. I've become addicted.

As an aside, Tesco seem to be on the up lately, at least in my neck of the woods, with much improved fresh produce, while Sainsburys is going rapidly down the pan. Our local Sainsbury is like Aldi on a bad day.

Come round to my place, sweet corn just getting perfect. Free. For four pints of Summer Lightning.

Is it only me who feels cheated by those lovely red Strawberries which are pure white and hard inside?
Rarely buy as almost always disappointed. Always need a lot of sugar; some fruit is nice tart, but not strawberries. Lemons, blueberries and pith-less orange segments. Oh, nearly forgot tinned prunes!

I’m hooked on M&S raspberries this summer, particularly for breakfast. So sweet and juicy, just delicious.

Veg we either grow them or buy from the Co-op along with soft fruit. All grown in UK, the strawberries were excellent earlier in the year, even their wine is not too bad if caught out as well.

Our veg garden was killed by salt-laden westerlies and cabbage white before it could establish itself. The only survivor is Jerusalem artichokes. But even that intrusive plant is making slow progress over what has become a wild( neglected) garden…

I am not a fan of strawberries, but if they are "right" I enjoy them. The Tesco ones have been labelled Eve 2 round here - they taste like strawberries ought to - long shelf life too - I eat fruit salad for breakfast and a punnet keeps for more than a week in the fridge.

99% of it comes down to variety - piccalo tomatoes, vitoria grapes, and the FAMOUS mangoes from India, so faomous that the variety escapes me at the moment.............. That and knowing how to judge ripeness.

My favourite way with plums is caramel pudding - layers of buttered bread with brown-sugared plum halves between. Baked.
That even brought some great flavour from some UK plums last week - plums are one of the many fruits that have to be picked unripe to survive transportation.

Fruit and veg from Lidl is streets ahead of other supermarkets around me.

The flat peaches this year are superb.

Yes I don’t have a Lidl near me but a friend of mine does and she gave me some cherries from there a few weeks ago. They were certainly the best cherries I can remember having in the UK, possibly as good as some exceptional ones I once had in America.

Rarely buy as almost always disappointed. Always need a lot of sugar; some fruit is nice tart, but not strawberries. Lemons, blueberries and pith-less orange segments. Oh, nearly forgot tinned prunes!
Can blueberries be any good ? I admit I’ve only tasted the huge industrial variety, pretty tasteless. Even in ice creams it’s a rather uninteresting fruit. Well they look good.

Can blueberries be any good ? I admit I’ve only tasted the huge industrial variety, pretty tasteless. Even in ice creams it’s a rather uninteresting fruit. Well they look good.
Yer, I use them mainly for ornament in salads. They taste better if cooked. We use them in a French sweet pancake dish I can’t recall the name of.

Clafoutis or something like…

Lovely fresh mango from Tesco recently. I've become addicted.

As an aside, Tesco seem to be on the up lately, at least in my neck of the woods, with much improved fresh produce, while Sainsburys is going rapidly down the pan. Our local Sainsbury is like Aldi on a bad day.

Agree 100% and Waitrose isn’t as good as it was. Pays to be selective nowadays.

advertisement

Back