advertisement

Recommend me some Lester Young recordings

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
Prez is a bit of a gap in my collection.

Where would people recommend I start? From looking online there seems to be little vinyl available and music of that is out of copyright stuff.

What are the essentials?

Mine too. And a similar experience to yours, most of what you see available is the posthumous releases - compilations, live material of various sorts etc.

The records I would like are the LPs he recorded during his lifetime, especially the 11 records he made with Norman Grantz for Mercury/Clef/Norgran/Verve.

A fair chunk of this has been regularly reissued on Verve over the years - though inevitably with different album titles, artwork etc at times. *sigh*

Can't make any actual recommendations I'm afraid as I'm in the same spot as you!

Reactions: kjb
Prez is a bit of a gap in my collection.

Where would people recommend I start? From looking online there seems to be little vinyl available and music of that is out of copyright stuff.

What are the essentials?
Kevin,
It is hard to find decent vinyl copies that aren’t compilations or out copyright ripoffs. This is one of his best on Verve 1956 that seems to to go for a reasonable price on Discogs:
thumbs_47ffbb52-abd0-40b5-811b-f141aab90ea7.jpg

I am steam on Amazon HD at the moment
Roy Eldridge on Trumpet. I have quite few Billy Holiday LP’s with these two. Aways a magic combination.
Also on Vinylwith Count Basie and Eldridge again at the1957 Newport Jazz Festival.

I only have one title by Lester Young, but it's a good 'un. It's "Prez Plays with the Oscar Peterson Trio" from 1952.
Allmusic gives it a five star rating, and I think that's about right. I think mine is a Speakers Corner reissue...

I would start with the following which are to me the high watermark in jazz or any other music I listen to. CD is the way to go but the Aladdins were released on a Blue Note 2fer in the Liberty years and that vinyl sounds good. The Keynotes are in a vast Keynote Vinyl box which is one of my prize possessions.

in the UK we are probably lucky with older second hand vinyl. The 2 volume set from Fontana (Memorial album)which has an excellent tight collection of the best of Lester with the Basie band. Very old vinyl now though. Similarly I can recommend the 5 volume of double LPs from CBS Lester Young story. I envy anyone listening to Taxi War Dance for the first time

MS00MzY4LmpwZWc.jpeg
NS0xNzM1LmpwZWc.jpeg

OC04MTE0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Edit to say please don’t be concerned by alternate takes. Each on indispensible

I’m going to give him another go, I do like him but never found him as compelling as, say, Coleman Hawkins.

I would start with the following which are to me the high watermark in jazz or any other music I listen to. CD is the way to go but the Aladdins were released on a Blue Note 2fer in the Liberty years and that vinyl sounds good. The Keynotes are in a vast Keynote Vinyl box which is one of my prize possessions.

in the UK we are probably lucky with older second hand vinyl. The 2 volume set from Fontana (Memorial album)which has an excellent tight collection of the best of Lester with the Basie band. Very old vinyl now though. Similarly I can recommend the 5 volume of double LPs from CBS Lester Young story. I envy anyone listening to Taxi War Dance for the first time

MS00MzY4LmpwZWc.jpeg
NS0xNzM1LmpwZWc.jpeg

OC04MTE0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Edit to say please don’t be concerned by alternate takes. Each on indispensible

Proper Records have a very reasonably priced 4 CD set - The Lester Young Story

I wonder if that has an overlap with the 5 CBS doubles?

As you say, CDs seem ton be the way to go for the time being as they are 1) better value and 2) much of Youngs recording will be digital transfers.

This seems like an essential and £12.99 although no longer ob Blue Note.

Then it'll be looking out for things when diving through second hand records.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back