advertisement

Recommend me some ceiling panels

heihei

pfm Member
My living room ceiling is a bit of a mess, so rather than replaster it, I thought I'd place some ceiling panels there to cover it up, with the added bonus of improving the room acoustics. The aim would be to reduce reflections and to reduce overall decay times a bit.

I'm probably looking to cover an area 2.5m x 4m

Any recommendations?

I went the whole hog and had acoustic rock wool covered with a stretched micro-perforated ceiling... Expensive but really worthwhile.

Although I note you have other purposes for installing ceiling panels you ought to test if you really need them.

It depends on your speakers dispersion characteristics. My speakers for example have a thirty degree vertical dispersion and I find, both by the mirror test and listening that ceiling absorption has no effect. You need to find out the vertical dispersion of your speaker, perhaps from the makers.

The test I did was by placing a panel on top of the speaker so it overhung the front preventing upward sound rays. Another way would be jamming a panel - or a pillow - with a 'T' piece of wood against the ceiling.

GIK Acoustics. Good quality panels that really do make a difference, plus a useful helpline/ tech advice if required.

Although I note you have other purposes for installing ceiling panels you ought to test if you really need them.

It depends on your speakers dispersion characteristics. My speakers for example have a thirty degree vertical dispersion and I find, both by the mirror test and listening that ceiling absorption has no effect. You need to find out the vertical dispersion of your speaker, perhaps from the makers.

The test I did was by placing a panel on top of the speaker so it overhung the front preventing upward sound rays. Another way would be jamming a panel - or a pillow - with a 'T' piece of wood against the ceiling.

Good tip that, thanks

advertisement

Back