advertisement

Recommend me a phono stage

I'd just get an Arkless at whatever price point you like. I've had much more expensive phonos (TEAD/Icon) but now with his Turbo plus I just don't think about upgrading.
Then being lazy Matt J's Dynavector P-75 would just get it over with and is as good as owt.

+1 for Matt j's Dynavector P75 I have one and I am very happy with it. You could buy and try if you don't get on with it you will be able to shift it pretty easily.

I'd just get an Arkless at whatever price point you like. I've had much more expensive phonos (TEAD/Icon) but now with his Turbo plus I just don't think about upgrading.
Then being lazy Matt J's Dynavector P-75 would just get it over with and is as good as owt.

Standard one still available and £225.

Good Lord, so to speak. What a fine thing to say. Thank you so much, Jake. I haven't been on PFM for ages after a very nasty purchasing experience a few years ago but with this kind of hype...

The MC3 sold immediately but I do have a rather special Boardman. Haden made three versions. Mine is the first of the V3s, which had an extra valve in it, and mine also had a unique grounding terminal for use with Entreq/Vertex/CAD/Coherent devices. It's got lovely valves in, too. The standard ones are horrors. I will be selling it. When I can get over my attachment to it... It's the only piece of Hi Fi other than my 2M Black that I actually bought new! How shaming to admit is that...?!

Other recommendations for this thread: Jolida/Black Ice F159. Which is what I've just bought. Only hugely modded.

(this was meant to include Lord Mortlock's quote from above, but it didn't...Pah: "A second recco for Richard/kneesup Edwards unit. He will also be listing a Haden Boardman 33.3 valve ‘stage and that is also superb imo.")

Think I saw Edwards Audio mc3 on AOS, bit more upfront /PRAT compared to trichords, has both mm and mc for the inevitable mc itch.

I have an MC3 for sale if anyone is looking. I don't think it's more up front than the Trichords; I would have though the opposite, but I've not owned them at the same time. The MC3 is very good and very adaptable.

I have an MC3 for sale if anyone is looking. I don't think it's more up front than the Trichords; I would have though the opposite, but I've not owned them at the same time. The MC3 is very good and very adaptable.

I borrowed one whilst I had Diablo/NCPSU. Combined with my Garrard, I felt more PRAT than I wanted in the system, the owner had Acoustic solid (Mass/belt drive TT) and it suited that better for my tastes. Very good stage, or should that be 2? I seem to remember MM stage + adjustable stage. Perfect for 2 arms?

Don't forget Croft Riaa stages. I have the Riaa R that I may upgrade to RS-status, at some point, unless that is too hifi.
There is a Riaa RS for sale from Emporium H

I've enjoyed using a Heed Questar in my system and have since added the optional QPSU power supply. The quality seems superb and importantly it was a big step up in sound quality to what I used previously.

advertisement

Back