advertisement

Recommend me a decent full suspension X-Country bike ?

I've not ridden a full suspension bike, so I have no experience of just how superior they are to a hardtail, but I am surprised that the premium over hardtail is a doubling of the price (roughly speaking):

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...coe/roscoe-8/p/28487/?colorCode=bluedark_grey

Is there really that much of a difference for your average x-country / bridleway rider who's not attempting to climb or drop from big rocks ? I see a lot of full-suspension bikes in my local woods, which is a new phenomenon over the past 10 years or so, so apparently a lot of riders find the large premium to be worthwhile.

Is there really that much of a difference for your average x-country / bridleway rider who's not attempting to climb or drop from big rocks ?

It depends where you ride and also how you ride. I like hardtails so ride them a lot (and in the past also rode them at trail centres a fair bit) but some folks like having long travel and being able to ride over stuff easily.

I see a lot of full-suspension bikes in my local woods, which is a new phenomenon over the past 10 years or so, so apparently a lot of riders find the large premium to be worthwhile.

Maybe they only have one bike and also do trail centres - so their bike might look a bit like overkill for the local stuff. I see that a lot in the Pentlands as a lot of folks also ride places like Innerleithen (Innerlethal!) or Glentress where a longer travel full-suss makes more sense.

I've not ridden a full suspension bike, so I have no experience of just how superior they are to a hardtail, but I am surprised that the premium over hardtail is a doubling of the price (roughly speaking):

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...coe/roscoe-8/p/28487/?colorCode=bluedark_grey

Is there really that much of a difference for your average x-country / bridleway rider who's not attempting to climb or drop from big rocks ? I see a lot of full-suspension bikes in my local woods, which is a new phenomenon over the past 10 years or so, so apparently a lot of riders find the large premium to be worthwhile.
Those who buy them generally won't go back. I did briefly have a FS bike, but I went back to a very light XC hardtail, which I prefer on longer XC rides. It's hard work at the trail centre though.

One of my riding buddies went back to a hardtail for a few years. He recently went back again to FS... said it's much more fun and much less stress on his back.
FS is actually more efficient the HT on bumpy terrain, it more than offsets the weight penalty IMO.

I see a lot of people on too much bike. OTOH I've moved away from anorexic bikes. ~30 lbs is my limit.

I moved to FS in 1998, no intention to go back to hardtail until I no longer can ride the trails I really enjoy...and there will probably be an e-bike interlude before then.....which means probably no more hardtail (I still get up the Downs under my own power for now!!). My playground is the SouthDowns Way, but for the last few years I've been out to the Alps every summer too, so FS makes sense. Much prefer the much better downhill capabilities of FS and accept the weight penalty (it's good for you too!).

Have a day booked at BikePark Wales in July, considering adding a couple more - anyone been?

p.s. Back off topic (sorry)...that Meribel run that takes about 19 minutes in the race video, takes me about 40 minutes (at a good pace for me)...which puts it in perspective as b$%^&y scary!
Most of it (the lower part) is a blue graded run too..easy peasy...

Have a day booked at BikePark Wales in July, considering adding a couple more - anyone been?

I've been 7 times since 2014 and have a suspended booking from last year. If you like mountain biking you'll love BPW. There are so many trails with such varied terrain. Just take it easy on the first few runs! Watch the vids on YouTube an make a note of the ones that you think you'll like best. Some have a loop back option so that you can peddle back up to the top of a section and ride it again. I can't wait go get booked in.

I've been 7 times since 2014 and have a suspended booking from last year. If you like mountain biking you'll love BPW. There are so many trails with such varied terrain. Just take it easy on the first few runs! Watch the vids on YouTube an make a note of the ones that you think you'll like best. Some have a loop back option so that you can peddle back up to the top of a section and ride it again. I can't wait go get booked in.

We nearly went, then COVID struck, I was a little hesitant about going as what I’d seen on YouTube looked quite gnarly, are there any trails that offer up a decent helping of fun, but with limited chance of going arse over tit?

Thanks Jonesi - SOLD! Think I might book a couple more days then. Just watched a couple of Youtubes (there's a lot!) and looks great.

PoC - it looks like there is a really good mix of all types.

A little off topic again :rolleyes: but who needs a chainset anyway if that's your style of riding....just ditch the weight...:

advertisement

Back